Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first taco build, ive done 9 earlier toyotas, but this is my first taco. please post pics of your front frame tie in and radiator protection...thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
that bumper is freekin rad man! I'm in the market for a bumper like that for a 91 sas 4 runner project but I dont have a bender yet, too expensive. was it made of bought if I may ask? if it was made by you props for the skill.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks! It was built by Josh @ Bent Creations with some help from me..........I have added some to it on my own as well :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
here's a better one of it from straight on.......the 3 tubes tied into the bumper are 250 wall DOM and the hoops are 120 wall DOM that have been sleaved with solid............It's pretty stout! :D I have some of that plastic cutting board stuff that I'm going to cover that void with and make a removable skid plate for it.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Simple and desinged by the same person.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is mine. You can see the bar added to protect the bottom of the radiator. The pic is a little deceiving as the added bar is actually under the radiator and slightly in front of it. My front cross member is doubled, so between that and the added bar there isn't much room for potential carnage. I may add some plate to give it some skid factor, but so far so good.

Before bumper:

After:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
My radiator hangs down a full 4" from the frame. Pretty rediculous!

I've noticed in some of those pictures, the radiator doesn't seem to hang down as far on some rigs, but its hard to tell with different crossmembers and stuff. I was looking around on http://www.radiatorexpress.com and they list the core sizes (not overall size) for their radiators. It looks like there are some different heights, while the width stays consistent (for mount purposes I'd imagine).

My 3.4 V6 4runner lists a 22-5/8" tall core, but some are 20" tall (Taco 3.4L manual or 2.7L) and some are even 18" (2.4L 2wds for example). There was also an 18" one that advertised a dual core vs. single. :confused:

My thinking is that if I went to one that was even 2.5" shorter, it would make a significant difference in ground clearance/approach angle and how low I need to build protection, but I would lose only about 10% of the core surface area.

I don't know if any one else has looked into this...

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
OK, some better comparisons:

First pic, 3.4L V6 5spd Tacoma I found of someone's rig here.

Second and third pics, my 3.4L V6 5spd 4runner. Notice how much longer the lower radiator hose is and how much farther the radiator hangs down. :shaking:

I need that shorter radiator/shroud/hose...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I'm pretty sure the automatic radiators hang down lower than the 5spd ones. Why? I'm not sure :D I just have a piece of 1/4" welded to the bottom of my front spring hangar and it clears just fine.
Some years of the auto (not sure which ones '98 for sure) have a cooler on the bottom for tranny fluid. Mine was replaced with one of these awhile back after a front end collision. It is now used as my P/S cooler as I have the manual.
X2 on the peice of 1/4", mounted at about a 45* angle to slide over rocks.....But we are leaf sprung folks. :D

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i think its the ball supports throwin things off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My radiator hangs down a full 4" from the frame. Pretty rediculous!

I've noticed in some of those pictures, the radiator doesn't seem to hang down as far on some rigs, but its hard to tell with different crossmembers and stuff. I was looking around on http://www.radiatorexpress.com and they list the core sizes (not overall size) for their radiators. It looks like there are some different heights, while the width stays consistent (for mount purposes I'd imagine).

My 3.4 V6 4runner lists a 22-5/8" tall core, but some are 20" tall (Taco 3.4L manual or 2.7L) and some are even 18" (2.4L 2wds for example). There was also an 18" one that advertised a dual core vs. single. :confused:

My thinking is that if I went to one that was even 2.5" shorter, it would make a significant difference in ground clearance/approach angle and how low I need to build protection, but I would lose only about 10% of the core surface area.

I don't know if any one else has looked into this...

Hey Erik, I am looking for a nice used one from a 2wd MT truck right now, if I have one its $45

If all else fails I can get you a new Koyo unit for $140+tax

1 - 20 of 20 Posts