Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I'm starting to really plan out how I want to attack my suspension in the front of my Ranger with my SAS using a Dana 44. I was thinking of 3-linking, but with my cast wedges on my '79 D44 I think I'm just going to stick with the radius arms I got with the 44 and then put a panhard bar on. I'm still debating if I want to try coilovers or go with springs and coils seperate so if you have any opinions there throw them up. Will that be an acceptable suspension? Or am I missing some components? Note, I'd like to keep this at least slightly road worthy. It won't be on the road much, but it'd be nice to have the ability to go 55 mph without fear.

Also, I'm curious as to what the benefits of using upper and lower control arms vs. using just radius arms? I was looking through some SAS threads over on Ranger-Forums.com and saw this picture:

which you can see uses some upper and lower control arms from RedRock4x4. Do you gain stability going that route over simply using radius arms?

Also is a trac bar pretty much the same as a panhard bar? Or am I getting my terminology confused.

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
radius arms do the same thing as an uppper and a lower link tied together. they both keep the axle from wrapping when your on the brake and on the gas.
coilovers are much easier to setup and better looking in my opinion.
yes, a panhard bar and a trac bar are the same thing, they keep the axle form moving side to side. your probably confusing trac bar and traction bar. you probly already know what a traction bar does.
a 3-link w/ a trac bar is my favorite setup for a front end. use an upper and a lower on one side, a link going straight to the middle on the other side (its not an upper or a lower its in the middle of the tube as close to the knuckle as you can get it.) and a trac bar from on side of the axle to the opposite frame rail (boxed and traingulated of course.)
hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts