Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have thoughts on satellite radio...

I went and got a deck, antenna and a tuner for my rig...
THey say it is commercial free, and can get reception just about anywhere....

Nyone know if and how the receptionis at the con, with satellite radio... I have talked to some people and they say it is great, but they DON'T hve satellite radio in there rigs, so how would they know??? I mean, not to sound mean but seriously.. anyone have it currently and been to the con or somewhere like that???

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there are no caves on the Rubicon that you can park your truck in. The only other time I can think of that it will not work is if you sink your rig in Spider Lake. Bottom line? You already bought the thing so put it in already…:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Time to face this thought, when people are up in the mountains, and its hard to get a cell phone signal sometimes right?
Does Satellite radio have a problem like that?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Time to face this thought, when people are up in the mountains, and its hard to get a cell phone signal sometimes right?
No. I’m no expert by any means but… Cell phones work off of “cell” antennas mounted to tall poles or buildings. You get loss of service or bad coverage because those antennas / signals are blocked by things like mountains and buildings…. Satellite should not have that problem since the signal is coming from much higher…

·
Registered
671 Posts
i never drove my 18 wheeler down the con, but XM worked great for me from coast to coast. mount your ant where it can see the most sky and youll be fine...
peace
Jw

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize that cell phone towers and satelite's are different...
I just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems, being satelite radio is somewhat new..

Thanks everyone for your input...

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you have a clear view of the sky your fine.I have XM and the only time it may fade in and out is when im around skyscrapers.Even small buildings dont realy interfere with reception.I actualy had it working in my garge last week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
XM = some stations have commercials

sirius = no commercials.

and wih XM ( i have it), you have direct view of sky, then you can receive it.

dense trees can cut off signal.
in cities, XM has put up repeater ground antennas. that's why he tuner has 2 sets of antenna inputs. in theory, when you lose sat signal, the radio bysed ground repeater antennas kick in without interrupttions. but as usual, XM doesnt have enough of them to fully blanket each area...

check out xm forum site:

www.clubxm.com

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks... This is the kind of answer I was looking for... I have the sirus as well... Thats makes sense too...

I appreciate the info... should I get anothe antenna?

Thx...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tall canyon walls will block the signal. I drive I-70 though Glenwood Canyon a fair amount and it does go in and out, and not just in the tunnels :flipoff2:. I figure the same will be true in canyons in Moab. I have not tried it yet. I have also lost signal pulling up next to three story buildings. But it works in my garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts