Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sway-A-Way (SAW) trouble

I am still going through my buggy triying to fix all the things that were let go on it. One of them being the Sway-A-Way emulsion coil overs (no resivior). They had no charge and were practically empy of oil.
I bought the rebuild kit from Dave at Polyperformance. Replaced all the seals and o rings, put it all back together exactly as it came apart, filled it with oil, and as I put the piston in I bled the valve to allow it to go in, then reassembled it, but when I tried to compress it, it wouldnt budge. I also put it under the buggy and it remained in the air with all the weight of the buggy and me. :confused: It was like no oil was passing through the valving. I took it back apart and compared it to the one I didnt touch and they are identicle. Here are a couple pics. Any ideas? I need to get this thing back together tonight!
I used this as a reference http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/viewarticle.php?id=50

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRD said:
When you installed the seal carrier was the shaft all the way compressed?

Sounds like it is hydrolocking
No it was not. I slid just the valving portion in just enough with the rod fully extended out when I pushed the seal carrier in enough so I could get the circle clip in there, then put the section with the allen screws in.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
you need to open it back up
the shaft needs to be all the way collapsed before you add oil. Otherwise it will hydrolock.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup I put about half with oil pushed the shaft to the bottom, topped it off and as I pushed the seal in as I released the pressure from the valve. I didnt take into consideration of the shaft taking up the space of the oil. Now works good.

One of the shafts has some scrapes on it, maybe that is why it was leaking? Would you recommend I get them fixed up some how? Maybe with emry cloth?

THANK YOU four your help!! :smokin: Now to finish the second one and get some rest.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
definitly knock off any high spots

If there are cuts in it you can just live with it or buy a new shaft for about $60

1 - 8 of 8 Posts