Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a rainier arms select 16" barrel and it was time to put glass on it. I've been all over the place as to what I want to do and wanted to get some other opinions. It's my only 308 and the range I go to I can shoot out to 300 yards. But I'd like to stretch it out at some point and have access out to 1k on private land.

I've looked at

Vortex pst 1-4
Leupold vrx 3-9
Swfa ss3-9
Vortex pst 4-16

So what ya think?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've got the leopold mk4 4.5-14.5x50 and I could stand to have more power at 500+yards. Hardly ever use 4.5, even up close.

For the money:
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6.5-24x50

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've shot my DPMS LR-308 in F-TR and FPR comps at 600 yards. I originally had a Millett TRS-1 4-16 and wanted more power so I went to a Millett LRS-1 which is a 6-25 (I think).

Not overly impressed with either scope, both need to go back with warranty issues. My next scope will be something Leupold or better (US Optic, S&B, etc.) I got my buddy a Zeiss that has amazing glass in it.

My eyesight is 20/20 with glasses, but I still like a lot of magnification. For shooting 600 yards plus, I like 25 power or more. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's my hang up, I really think most of my shooting will be done at around 600 and in. But I don't want to fuck myself when I do get to go longer. Vortex has a 6-24 for the same money, but if I ever go hunt hogs/deer I'd prob take it which is we're the whole 1-4 came in. Anybody ever take a 3-9 out around 1k? How bad does it suck?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There's my hang up, I really think most of my shooting will be done at around 600 and in. But I don't want to fuck myself when I do get to go longer. Vortex has a 6-24 for the same money, but if I ever go hunt hogs/deer I'd prob take it which is we're the whole 1-4 came in. Anybody ever take a 3-9 out around 1k? How bad does it suck?
Should be fine if your target is semi truck or bigger.

·
Broke
1,030 Posts
The 4-16 should be fine for your use I think. Allot if guys have shot to 1000 yards using leupold mk4 3.5-10x and S&B 3-12x (Army and Marines). I also believe that 300sniper here runs a 3.5-15 Night force f1 on his comp gun.

For whatever it's worth of you are concerned about still havin the low power while having a good high, take a look at the 3.5-21 bushnell hdmr. It cost more than your other options, but I have yet to hear anyone regret spending on an optic, and a nice MaTen needs good glass. Or consider running a micro dot offset.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
With a rainier arms select 16" barrel and it was time to put glass on it. I've been all over the place as to what I want to do and wanted to get some other opinions. It's my only 308 and the range I go to I can shoot out to 300 yards. But I'd like to stretch it out at some point and have access out to 1k on private land.

I've looked at

Vortex pst 1-4
Leupold vrx 3-9
Swfa ss3-9
Vortex pst 4-16

So what ya think?
I happen to be in this same exact situation. I have been looking at the new FFP PST 1-10, I picked it up at SHOT and was very impressed vs the standard 1-10.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, you might have a hell of a time at 1000 yards with a 16" barrel 308.
I figured that, but I at least wanna try:homer:

I happen to be in this same exact situation. I have been looking at the new FFP PST 1-10, I picked it up at SHOT and was very impressed vs the standard 1-10.
I've been eyeing that one too since I know I can't afford the nightforce version. But it's $100 more than than anything else I'm lookin at and I have terrible hobby's to be a cheap bastard:shaking:

But like crawlchevy said I haven't gone cheap yet, why start

·
Broke
1,030 Posts
Another option to consider is the Bushnell 3-12 FFP mil dot. The PST has more features, but I like my bushnell's better than the PST I played with. You could get used ones for $550 with a bit of searching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts