Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 86 305 and a sm465 ready to be planted in my samurai. I'm looking for people who have done some sort of small block Chevy swap of some sort for some ideas. My plans are yoto axels stock tcase I'm considering rear stretch but I'm staying sprung not going linked and no front stretch I need all the help I can get guys..thanks

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
A sbc 305 is a bit heavy for a samurai in my opinion, not to mention a bit bigger dimensionally for a samurai engine bay. Not knocking it, just saying. The toy axles were meant for a 4 banger so hopefully your v8 isn't too healthy, and/or you are easy on the skinny pedal. What are you looking to do with your build? DD? Mud? Rocks?

·
Suzuki/Toyota Parts
610 Posts
Stock Sami t case? I give it about 5 mins before it blows up.

Is this just to drive around the streets or do you want to off road? Stock tire size?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok robi I'm planning daily driven .And I have alway saw early 80s yotas 350 swapped to stock trans Tcase and axels so I thank they should be fine.I know the 305 is heavy but I have saw 327 swapped and 302 swapped zuks out there and seems like they do fine

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as axels how much bigger do you think 44s/60s? And I've been under the impression that zuki cases are decently strong. I forgot to add the sm465 I have is a 2wd trans so if anyone has a better idea for a T case let me know

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as tire size i really don't looking to run big tires what ever can keep my gearing were I can run 70mph down the high way honestly. this will not be a trailer queen period.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
OK, first things first, have to give details on what your intentions are, then we can help guide you. 2nd, stock samurai tcase won't last long, unless you're talking about the stock tcase that came behind the sm465. What tire size, stock axle gearing or aftermarket gears, how healthy is your v8? Yes, Toyota guys do swap sbc 350 in and make them last, then again every Toyota guy I know that does a v8 swap has an auto behind it, or they have 1tons waiting.

Edit- you answered some of my questions, I think with a v8 you are looking at d44s for anything bigger than 35s. The samurai tcase came behind a anemic 1.3L 55hp motor, not a 150+ motor. For toyota axles id look for the typical 4cyl motors to keep it light, you might be happier in the end.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright my intentions. I want a daily driven v8 powered Suzuki samurai. Just so happens I have a FREE 305 that needed to be rebuilt (in process about done) I have a FREE sm465 2wd trans and I have a samurai that needs an engine. I want to keep it looking stock from outside I'm fine with cut trans tunnel and firewall and I want a front mounted radiator I would like to run 33s ish. After this I'd like to take it to Harlem KY or windrock TN and watch the big boys break they're stuff. Now I need help I want you to tell me what T case/axels ect I need to run to do this. By the way I'm on a budget to make this even better:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh the 305 I have is rated at 167 hp stock of course it's rebuilt so there u go.
Y'alls help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know people frown upon a v8 samurai becuase you "ruin the light weight agility" the samurai has to offer but I truly think I can make this work and be good

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
With that much hp I wouldn't suggest using the stock samurai tcase, I'd look into a sm465 to toyota adapter to run a stock Toyota tcase. Toyota guys will run a Toyota the behind a v8 so you'd be fine there.

Axles - I'd say gusset the knuckles balls as the motor will have some weight to it, keep the stock 4.10s and upgrade your steering to high steer.

Steering - call me a wuss but you'll want power steering, even if you are only running 33s. You'll be happy later. Find a tracker/sidekick or Toyota ifs steering box. Your 305 PS pump should work well with those boxes.

Brakes - swap the rear drum brakes for disc brakes and get a subaru brake Mc to help increase the brake pressure.

Suspension - your stock leaf springs won't cut it, you'll need something stronger, yjs or Toyota leafs which will mean new hangers.

You'll definitely need to cut the tunnel and firewall to make room for the drivetrain.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
what axels are you talking about??
I already have trail tough fully over the top steering
I will probably consider power steering that small block ain't so small:laughing:
I'm not to worried about brakes maybe later on but not now
And I will definitely look into a Toyota Tcase/adapter
. And I may sound stupid but I do have a set of Chevy 12bolts...they have 308 gears though but I could alway regear them I don't know just shooting ideas

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Why the fuck would you go through all the work of putting a SBC in a Sammi and start with a 305? One that needs to be rebuilt at that!

My toyota had a 305 when I bought it, while getting ready to swap in The 4.3 and the built axles I broke front shaft all the time. Plenty of better engine choices then the 305.... If you have to have a V8 get a 350. If your OK with the power output of the 305, get a later model 4.3 and save the room and weight.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
If just for street driving I'd say the Toyota axles will be fine on 33s, bigger than that then you'll need aftermarket shafts. I am in no way knocking the idea of a v8 samurai, it's just a tall order to shoehorn a motor that size and make the samurai look stock still. Hope it goes well and I'll be watching for updates.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As you can see I was expecting haters like rswords here 😂Anyway my reason for a 305 is its free
As far as the build goes IT WILL be going in my samurai I appreciate all your input if I can figure out how to post pictures I will and the build should be starting as soon as I have some time off work. And the Chevrolet axels thank you so much for correcting my mistake but not telling me what the fuck they are you are so useful my friend THANK YOU.
People are quick to judge and correct your mistakes but don't look to help you...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the axels. I don't know the same man that gave me the trans was building a 1988 k5 and is swapping in different axels and gave me the originals so what ever came underneath thos...and how strong are they.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See I was just reading a guy stuffed a Cadillac 4.9 v8 and some sort of trooper auto in a samurai running stock tcase. Yes I realize that cadi 4.9 has a aluminium block but it fir and h ran a font mounted radiator and he didn't mess with the firewall that bad just the trans tunnel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
See I was just reading a guy stuffed a Cadillac 4.9 v8 and some sort of trooper auto in a samurai running stock tcase. Yes I realize that cadi 4.9 has a aluminium block but it fir and h ran a font mounted radiator and he didn't mess with the firewall that bad just the trans tunnel.
he is not running a samurai t-case

1 - 20 of 346 Posts