Pirate 4x4 banner

261 - 280 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #261 (Edited)
Daddy had to of put this thought into his head with the idea you'll be able to wheel like me son .... not at all hahahaha I've never seen anyone wheel hard on a Dana 35 let alone on 38s as for your running gear choice like I said if he wheels like daddy he will be fine if he tries at all to really wheel he will explode either ring and pinion shafts or even a knuckle if he goes to 40s
At this point it's just more humor to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not going to 40s. Matter of fact I'm going to run 35s here were I'm at. Il be stretched to 90" wheel base inthe rear 4 linked rear 14b/d44 35s sm465 stock tcase and I'm going to a junk yard to look at what the place says "running" 4.3s see what they want if it's less then a rebuild on that 305 theeeeen that's it for the majority be looking to disc swap the 14b and a steering gear box not sure what from yet and a bigger master cylinder again not sure what from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trade your 14 bolt to a jeep guy and get a rubicon 44 rear run 35/36s the light weight of your Sami if you do decide to listen and ditch the 305 for something with more power and a ton lighter you will have a perfect set up

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
And that's the plan. Il shave that lip off the bottom of the 14b and il drag my ass every now and again deal with my heavy axles that keep center of gravity low and il hopefully end up with a v6 besides a v8. The frame will need reinforcing and the body will need trimming...

·
Registered
13 Posts
At least your trying now cuz the road you were heading down was one dumb ass way to go but even shaving the lip go 37s any bigger I would junk the 44 idea any smaller I would scrap the 14 bolt idea as for open front lsd back it might work cuz your super light but in a pinch I don't think your gonna like it Lincoln lock the front and put a Detroit or even a selectable in the rear

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Yjs soa, 16V, Toyota axles and 37s. It's light, has a good power:weight ratio so it actually has decent pickup.
Yeah one very nice setup and that's the way I would go if I could. I've looked for front 60s but none I can afford right now the 44 will stay for a while. Ima go to that junk yard some time this weekend and look for a 4.3 and see if it's cheaper to buy one they say runs then to rebuild the 305.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah one very nice setup and that's the way I would go if I could. I've looked for front 60s but none I can afford right now the 44 will stay for a while. Ima go to that junk yard some time this weekend and look for a 4.3 and see if it's cheaper to buy one they say runs then to rebuild the 305.
I thing a D44 should hold up under a sammy. For the 4.3 I'd say good choice, try to get a SCPI, 1996 and up should be good

·
Premium Member
957 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
16V - 94hp - 160lbs fully dressed
Sbc 305 - 145hp @550lbs fully dressed

Sammy trans - 40# maybe
Sm465 - 175#

Sammy tcase - 40# maybe
Np205 - 140#

Toyota axle - about 400# combined
3/4 dana 44 and 14b - about 800# combined

640# drivetrain with 94hp vs 1665# drivetrain with 150hp, guess which one will do better.

Save your money, sell your crap parts and think better on your build. I was in the same place as you are when I tried to build a Cj7. I had a healthy 304, I wanted tons and 38s, I didn't have the money I have now for a build and I had some fab skill. That project was never finished and I destroyed a good Cj7 body when I started. I wasted money and started over with a cj5, built that and sold it when I got my black samurai. Build it with light parts like Toyota axles, upgrade as you go. You have ambition, which is good, but your ambition and your fab skill sound like they are at two completely different levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anything bigger than 35s on your stock wheelbase IMO your going to feel all sorts of tippy if you go full tons on anything less than 38-39.5s your wasteing your time and money listen to the guy here yeah it sounds cool Sami on tons and a big engine but not worth it

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,540 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Not to mention everything associated with bigger axles and tires, bigger tires = bigger axles = bigger brakes, stronger driveshafts, longer wheelbase, frame extensions, bigger suspension components = more weight which mean more power or deeper gearing which means more $$$$$

·
Registered
615 Posts
We're just going over the same ground again and again though. Hello Mello is completely unable to absorb anything other than "yeah great idea" so we're all completely wasting our time. No advice that doesn't applaud his terrible choices will make any difference.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #275

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
I'm going to look and see if buying a what the place say is a running 4.3 is cheaper then rebuild on this 305. Which honestly I hope it is I think as many others have said it will be more work for what it's worth

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think we all gave up on the engine advice now we are trying to tell you either ditch the 14 bolt and 44 and go Toyota axles or go 44/44 on some 35s or if you plan on keeping the axles then you either have a weak link in your 44 if you go bigger than 37s or if you go smaller than that your 14 bolt will be a boat anchor unless you shave it but I wouldn't advise doing that based on the comments witch reflect your skill set

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
These guys are all full of shit, build what you what and run what you bring!!!! I can't wait to see pics and vids!!! Stop asking questions and start building! I'm sure it will turn out sweet, can't wait to see this jalopy :grinpimp::grinpimp:

·
Registered
615 Posts
These guys are all full of shit, build what you what and run what you bring!!!! I can't wait to see pics and vids!!! Stop asking questions and start building! I'm sure it will turn out sweet, can't wait to see this jalopy :grinpimp::grinpimp:
This post is brought to you by Facebook.

261 - 280 of 346 Posts