Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 320 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
OH cobalt motors sounds like a good idea light lots of power but not a direction I want to go to much electrical stuff lmao.

·
Registered
993 Posts
This thread really needs to go to general chit chat at this point.

Did we ever get an idea what is wrong with the stock motor int he Samurai? Why are you so interested in swapping the motor in the first place?

Sorry if it was already covered, but I don't feel like wading back through the muck.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
Did we ever get an idea what is wrong with the stock motor int he Samurai? Why are you so interested in swapping the motor in the first place?
60hp

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts

On the first day out of the factory pushed off of a cliff with a heavy down draft. Somewhere I have a dyno sheet from a stock one about ten years ago. I think It was 27hp at 4400rpms.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Well for a high school kid who barely started driving with no fab skills I think a stock 60hp samurai is a good start.

·
ZUK Herder
4,497 Posts
no way he needs a v8 and at least 3/4 ton axles hahha

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've been there done that! Alot of v8 haters in the zuki forum. My 1.3 kept giving my problems so out it came. In went a 95 cpi 195hp 4.3 with th350 trans and yota tcase with chevy dana 44 front and Eaton rear axle. I had a 305 in a Camaro and swapping to a 350 would of been a waste of time. I would of gained like 2 tenths in the 8th. So I don't know what all the Damn bitching is about don't use a 305. To fit it between the frame your gonna have to find some center dump manifolds or modify the frame as in notch it. If your careful about placement you might get a small radiator in front with lots of trimming otherwise it will have to go out back. The leaf springs up front will have to be moved outboard the frame to run a chevy axle. Yota will fit much better and easier and 4.10s with 33s will be decent. Also the steering box will have to be mounted outboard the frame to clear the steering shaft.
The 4.3 eventually had a injection issue and bent a rod. Swapped to a 350 carb and it made me very unhappy. Its currently on the floor for sale and a 5.3 ls is in its place.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've been there done that! Alot of v8 haters in the zuki forum. My 1.3 kept giving my problems so out it came. In went a 95 cpi 195hp 4.3 with th350 trans and yota tcase with chevy dana 44 front and Eaton rear axle. I had a 305 in a Camaro and swapping to a 350 would of been a waste of time. I would of gained like 2 tenths in the 8th. So I don't know what all the Damn bitching is about don't use a 305. To fit it between the frame your gonna have to find some center dump manifolds or modify the frame as in notch it. If your careful about placement you might get a small radiator in front with lots of trimming otherwise it will have to go out back. The leaf springs up front will have to be moved outboard the frame to run a chevy axle. Yota will fit much better and easier and 4.10s with 33s will be decent. Also the steering box will have to be mounted outboard the frame to clear the steering shaft.
The 4.3 eventually had a injection issue and bent a rod. Swapped to a 350 carb and it made me very unhappy. Its currently on the floor for sale and a 5.3 ls is in its place.
What?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Cliff notes: ramble ramble ramble 4.3 cpi ramble ramble people bash v8 ramble ramble ramble.

OK, you did a 4.3 cpi, a much better motor than a 305, and a th350 adapted to a toy tcase. Now you're doing a v8 with a tubefront clip , OP stated he wanted the Sammy to remain stock looking.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Where did I say tube buggy and where did I say I put a 305 in my zuk? I said what it takes to fit the thing in the engine bay and said the radiator will possibly have to go in the back. Yotas will keep it close to stock looking. I gave more info on this swap than any of you on this post. I've actually done it. I know what I should of done differently. I spread my frame rails when I should of just notched them. I ran a xj steering box where I should of ran a outboard box. Ramble ramble is all u do. A 305 will go 70 down the interstate just fine.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If he wants to use a sm465 he will need an aluminum top shifter. The older style will put the shifter into the dash. Also it would be dumb to use the stock zuk tcase. A dana 300 would be better fit and shorter. I doubt this swap ever happens though. Also I hope the op knows he will need a hydro clutch.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Just a thought on the rear axle, why not sell the bolt anchor and pick up a 9 inch? they're extremely common and lightweight, and can usually be found for cheap, and has way mor ground clearance than a 14. Another cool thing is you can re gear them for $150 as long as you're careful.

301 - 320 of 346 Posts