Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Jeep guy, know I-6's and 304-360-401 pretty well, self taught, but I'm getting ready to do an SBC swap into my truck and I'm starting to look for resources to learn more about the engine. I'm not up on Chevy applications, so please forgive my ignorance.

I've searched here and waded through several pages of stuff to no avail.

Specs:
383 stroker 4 bolt main, 2 piece rear main seal with vortec heads. Mated to a TH400 and then 203/205 doubler. It'll be carb'd (please hold the commentary on the wonders of FI), HEI dizzy, and run V-belts with the long-water pump config. Exhaust is old-school rams-horn manifolds.

What I'm looking for, any hints in the right direction would be greatly appreciated:
1) decent haynes/chilton type manual for the engine. Obviously this isn't a stock app, what would be a good fit for this KIND of stuff?
2) books or web resources to help me cure my ignorance.
3) decent technical reference, covering things like firing order, torque specs, assembly, possibly some light rebuild/modding stuff.

Thanks in advance, and mods if I chose poorly and/or this belongs in the newb section, please feel free to move.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
You should be able to find that info just about anywhere. The SBC is everywhere. Go to your local performance parts store and they should have about a dozen books telling you the same thing. I can tell you the firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Left some light reading for you in the library at the shop..... your favorite performance parts catalog has some good resources as well :smokin:

..... and have I mentioned the virtues of FI lately!!!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
54,555 Posts
any large book store barnes and noble, borders will have a whole section of manuals and books. everything from rebuild a stock 350 to a blown 350 and i've even seen building 383 books cause its a popular motor. and whats cool is both these stores have seats and don't mind if you read it before you buy:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Google for a book by John Lingenfelter. You'll have to wade through a bit if stuff, he was a busy (and popular) guy. But he wrote one of the definitive books on the SBC.

[edit: awe, heck. I'm feeling generous: Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155788238X/qid=1135110463/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-1089541-0875167?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

You'll notice both a FI and a carb engine on the book cover. It should be exactly what you want.

Under $20 delivered. Not bad.

Don't just take my word for it, ask around about John Lingenfelter. He was THE MAN when it came to the SBC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts