Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone please tell me what changes need to made to put in a chevy 350 in a 78 scout. it now has a 345 with auto tranny. do i need to change tranny,motor mount stands, etc? would it be worth doing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you keep the 727 you need an adapter plate. The very best way is to go with the 700R4 tranny and a Dana 300 or Atlas T case. I have done this conversion 2 times and yes it is worth it.

You also need motor mounts and a GM radiator. I make my own mounts. The rad that works best is one from a 67 Impala.

Good luck

·
Registered
734 Posts
You are giving up some longevity by going with the SBC. Personally I wouldn't go through all the work of an engine swap unless it was for a big block or diesel engine, or an overdrive transmission. One good option that will allow you to keep your current tranny and xfer case is a dodge 440. A damn good engine and lots of power. About the only serious mod you'll have to make is exhaust and motor mounts.

$500 Adapters IMO are a waste of money. So if you go to a GM (or Ford) motor go all GM: engine, tranny, and xfer case.

·
Registered
346 Posts
cajackson said:
could someone please tell me what changes need to made to put in a chevy 350 in a 78 scout. it now has a 345 with auto tranny. do i need to change tranny,motor mount stands, etc? would it be worth doing?
I swapped in a 350 Chev, SM-465 and a NP-205 case into my 75 Scout. Was it worth it? HELL YES it's the only way to go IMO. The same could be done with a SBC, TH-350\NP205 combo if you want an auto with NO ADAPTERS and the strongest T case you will ever find.
The SBC is also no sweat for EFI, just about any performance part you can think of and other cool mods. And in light of the fact that you are going to a physically smaller engine than your 345, there is plenty of room to work under the hood and cooling problems are non existant.
I say go for it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put a TBI 350,th400-205 in my wifes Scout.Its great! I had to fab up cross members&mounts.Also relocated the inlet outlet on the Scout radiater. It lost a bunch of weight,and gained horsepower. I would recomend it to anybody.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I swapped in a Vortec 350 but made my own adapter out of 1/2 inch plate and drilled a dual bolt pattern as I needed to keep my IH bellhousing for the right-hand-drive clutch linkage. The IH bolt pattern encompasses the Chevy boltpattern so I countersunk the Chevy pattern and used bolts and nuts for the IH bellhousing. Advance Adapters has an adapter for the manual trans for about $450 as well as the motor mounts but I do believe it requires you to cut and weld. I've seen people using the stock radiator with this conversion but that is up to you and wiring as long as its carbureted should be fairly simple. The Vortec wasnt that bad but you definitely had to know what you were doing which I didnt........but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Good Luck

Sean

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I did the a 350/th350 swap in mine and it's great. I had to make new motor mounts and a xmember. Other than that it's prety straight forward. I've seen plenty of people use the stock radiator which makes me wonder why I didn't :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts