Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to talk my buddy into swapping in a SBC into his 85 CJ7 instead of just replacing I6 he has right now. I know that just replacing the 258 would be easier and cheaper. So my question is realistically what does a swap like this usually ad up to? Considering we get average deals on stuff and go with a good junk yard motor so a rebuild is not necessary.
I also assume he has either a T4 or T5 tranny and it's my understanding that he should swap the tranny as well, right?
So with this being said if cost is too high would a 360 be a better option? would a tranny and rad swap still be necessary?

Tim

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would go with the 360. No expensive adapters required and you will end up with a much cleaner finished product using factory parts. The frame horns for the motor mounts do need to be changed, but are not hard to find.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
I have no experience with the SBC swap, but I do hate the T4/T5 tranny and definitely vote to trash it.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
*These are my junkyard prices on items, they may/may not be different depending on your location.

Junkyard TBI 350 = $300-500
Junkyard SM465 = $100-200
Junkyard Dana 300 = $100-200
SM465 to Dana 300 Adapter = $300

You can do the meat of the swap for under 1k, a radiator and fan will set u back a bit too.

If you go with a 360 the T-18 will cost you more and the adapters to the Dana 300 will cost alot more then the above setup if you want to run decent gearing. If you are going manual then theres no reason not to get one of the 3 major 4-speed granny trannys. 360s are nice but the 350 is still the cheapest and most capable setup for your money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts