Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want to weigh each corner of my project to figure out the center of gravity
anyone have any idea what type of scales I should use?
I assume that I need 4 of them
what am I looking for and where do get them?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Go to a local place that sells landscape material, ie rocks, barkdust, etc. They will often let you use thier scale for free or a small fee. Thats what I did when I had to weigh my truck before buying a trailer. Weigh one end at a time, and assume that the left and right sides are equal.

Or, you could use a bathroom scale with a fulcrum type setup to get the weight within the scales range, but its kind of a PITA to set it up accuratly.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that won't work, because i can't drive the rig cause i have not set up the rear suspension cause i don't know where the center of gravity is yet cause i don't have any scales
are there any scales that are use to weigh race cars or somethin like that?

·
Registered
679 Posts
How about a hyd jack/cylinder and a pressure gauge...with a little math you can make it work. : )

·
Registered
523 Posts
Could you use a simple bathroom scale, and a board. Guesstimate what your truck ways at each corner, then divide that weight by the middle reading on the scale say 150 lbs. so if you think it weights 600 lbs at each corner, divide that to get 4. Then get a heavy board about that long or a little longer. Place a brick on the scale, put the board on the brick to make a little ramp, then drive the truck up the ramp until you get a reading of about 200 pounds are so. Then multiply the scale reading by the ratio of the length of the board (from the ground to the brick) by the length of the tire to the ground.

I think I worded that poorly, but I think it will work. It might not be the most accurate, but it should get you pretty close.

Chad

·
Registered
825 Posts
Find the local Pro-stock or Pro-mod racer in your area. He or his friends should have a set of 4 scales that they use to set the chassis up on their race cars.

Always suprised me no one did this, it allows you to set a 4-link/ladder bar setup/whatever so that you know exactly where all of the load is going on the tires. This way you could tweak your rig to make sure it is putting about equal wieght on all of thew tires or at least equal wieght side to side.

·
Registered
122 Posts
you can rent scales at morris scale co. they are located in tualatin, or. 1-800-92-scale, I am in kennewick,wa if I were closer I would let you borrow one of my rentals, they are 4x4 5000lb platforms and will cost a little $$ but you can call and talk to the service dept and get a firm quote for a day or two, I am a technician for these guys in eastern wa. wish I were closer,,,,,you would only need one scale and just move it from corner to corner making sure the rig is level each time you weighed,,,,

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
To set up your rear suspension you need the CG height as well as it's front to rear location. To find that you need to weigh it level and then jack up one end and weigh it again, or you can just guess, It is pretty hard to say exactly how much anti squat you want since it varies so drastically from one situation to the next, so even if your guess is off by 6 inches it is no big deal. The muscle car guys assume the CG is at the camshaft height and weigh front and rear to get the front to back location. This works pretty good for jeeps too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts