Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 630 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys bring the input.

After some hairy sidehills on pritchet and other trails its time to chop.

Im just getting started, and my goal is CLEAN! I have pondered the cage, the cell, the coilover mounts, the whole set up( thanks Keith, Alex and Matt).

Question number one of many....

My fuel cell......

I have the good old fall back of a 15 gallon RCI poly cell, but I just grabbed a d 90 tank from one of my buddies that had it lying around, and I think I may try to mount it up underneath behind the axle. The 90 tank is smaller and only 15.6 gallons compared to the giant disco tank, and being smaller it gives me a chance to bob and dove the back,while still keeping a rover tank under the back im hoping it will give me about 5-7 inches I can shave.

Here are a few pictures of what I have done already. The 37s are on(Im still waiting on my spacers to show up). I just re-trimmed the fenders, and stripped out the interior rear guts..

Anyways here is my start, more to come, Im hoping to get the top off by the 25th, then the cage gets started...

Attachments

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
In, thanks for the chance!

RCI, mounted with straps or springs. D-90 cell is way too heavy, and sits too low. And is too fragile to a good beating. If you really want to lose weight you need to start thinking now about everything you can do to drop it everywhere. If you don't, your going to end up with a north of 4000lb car with no conforts at all, instead of a 5,000 lb car with comforts.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so with that said, would you suggest one with baffles, or one with foam?Cells are new to me, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Ok so with that said, would you suggest one with baffles, or one with foam?Cells are new to me, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time?

Thanks!
dunno, do discos have an external pump, or in-tank pump?

·
whatever
1,500 Posts
in tank...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a plastic RCI 12 gallon one with no foam, but it can be added if neede, and a 2 inch sump. I think Ill pick up, and Ill either do what matt does, and put it inside the tank, or Ill just wire in a external HP one..

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I don't run foam, but I really am not smart on this subject. Mine was really simple as the pump is engine mounted. Just bought an AL tank and plumbed it in.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
my cell is set up for the stock in tank pump. it has two semi-circular baffles that go around the pump housing. I don't really think they do much to keep the fuel from sloshing, but with an 8 gallon cell I haven't found it to be a problem at all. One nice thing about using the stock pump (other than not having to reinvent the wheel, yet again) is that it has its own built in reservoir, and will keep the pump fed at crazy angles even when there is only a little fuel in the cell. If I had to do it again I wouldn't bother with the baffles, and certainly not foam.

Sloshing wasn't a problem with the 14 gallon cell of the same design either. Stock tank has no baffles, right?

An external pump is nice for field-servicability, but then you have to engineer a good fuel pickup to not starve the pump at angles. If you don't your car will stall out on you at the worst times.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
...If you really want to lose weight you need to start thinking now about everything you can do to drop it everywhere. If you don't, your going to end up with a north of 4000lb car with no conforts at all, instead of a 5,000 lb car with comforts.
Exactly. Except his car weighs closer to 6000 would be my guess.

I told you Lane, just do it all now. Harder and more expensive to do it in stages, take my word for it.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Mine stalls at or near vertical because I have no foam or baffles. Only happens when I am low on fuel though, and sense it takes me at least 4 days to get low on fuel, I never really worry about it :) It does, oddly enough, run completely upside-down. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not quite ready to take that plunge, and when I do IM gonna put on one of matts rockRR chassis.

OK heres an idea on the fuel cell, get one that has the pickups in on the bottom and then plumb it in so they are facing rearward then unless your going down hill and hammering on the gas you wouldnt have to worry about starving it. Uphill or steep climbs it would always have fuel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just build a tube frame and be done with it. Why wast the sawzall blades?
I have been using my air grinder and my compresser isnt that big! ITs a BIATCH!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
where will you put that cell? i thought you wanted to have a back seat and a cargo area, plus you are shortening the ass end.

???

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
where will you put that cell? i thought you wanted to have a back seat and a cargo area, plus you are shortening the ass end.

???
OK heres my plan Im going to dove the back,bring the rear quarters at the C pillar into just about the 3 inches shy of the frame, Then Im going to shorten it a little bit, The way I see it I have 2 options.. Ill mount the cell underneath up high and get one of the quick filler necks to pop it out up top( keiths idea), or Ill mount it inside my " bed cage" right between my 2 coilover mounts( no tire spot). THoughts?

Here is an idea on what it will look like in the back roughly, no back door and having it kind of like whats in the pic. the cell would go where the tire is, or under.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Im not quite ready to take that plunge, and when I do IM gonna put on one of matts rockRR chassis.

OK heres an idea on the fuel cell, get one that has the pickups in on the bottom and then plumb it in so they are facing rearward then unless your going down hill and hammering on the gas you wouldnt have to worry about starving it. Uphill or steep climbs it would always have fuel.

Take Darkstar's advice and do it all now. IMO you will always come home from a trip and find something to intitiate another major project. You will go further and further away from the "disco" you once had...a bandaid for where you eventually want to go if you take the "plunge" and get a rockRR chassis.

Ask the many who have done similar things with a disco, RR, or defender. I can tell you personally that as much as I loved my 90 and what I turned it into after 10 years of work, there was nothing like driving the car I have now (Matt's original rockRR modded and raced by PPR). The car couldn't be more perfect for what I like to do offroad; pure sastisfaction. I can tell you that you will save time and money in the long run, no question.

Why are you starting with the fuel cell when you are pondering fundamental building points like a cage and suspension? Get those worked out and address the smaller details as the project unfolds, it will be easier to change those as you go. You are headed in the right direction though, talking about steeper angles and sidehilling (yes I saw you nearly dump it on Pritchett) so you need a cage, ect.

My .01

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Take Darkstar's advice and do it all now. IMO you will always come home from a trip and find something to intitiate another major project. You will go further and further away from the "disco" you once had...a bandaid for where you eventually want to go if you take the "plunge" and get a rockRR chassis.

Ask the many who have done similar things with a disco, RR, or defender. I can tell you personally that as much as I loved my 90 and what I turned it into after 10 years of work, there was nothing like driving the car I have now (Matt's original rockRR modded and raced by PPR). The car couldn't be more perfect for what I like to do offroad; pure sastisfaction. I can tell you that you will save time and money in the long run, no question.

Why are you starting with the fuel cell when you are pondering fundamental building points like a cage and suspension? Get those worked out and address the smaller details as the project unfolds, it will be easier to change those as you go. You are headed in the right direction though, talking about steeper angles and sidehilling (yes I saw you nearly dump it on Pritchett) so you need a cage, ect.

My .01
Tis, I agree the RR chassis is definitely the way to go.. Ill tell ya, You made rockpile look like a parking lot entrance, You didnt even bark a tire over it.

The reason I have been trying to figure out this fuel cell issue is I have my cage design all ready, I know what im going to do in the back behind the rear bench for my coilover mounts and cage, I just now need to get some dimensions, I want to make sure everything fits right the first time( for the most part). Once I cut the rear inner body structure to dove the quarters I want to make sure I take it in just enough to cover/touch the edges of my bed cage, and I want to make sure the bedcage is wide enough to fit my cell, battery, and a few tools bags.

I really appreciate you guys giving me all of this input, You have some Awesome builds.Im hoping once mine is all done painted and finished it can rank up in that clean cool category. Bare wiht me IM sure there will be a few hundred more questions!

This is my basis for a cage with some better changes, but its should have roughly the same style, A piller B pillar, then dove it back over the rear seats into the " bed cage for coilover mounts, around the cell capping off the back tied into the rear bumper... UHH I think! :confused: :D

Attachments

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
W/R/T fuel tank, on AFI's truggy, we used a narrow and tall fuel tank to avoid some of the issues with sloshing. He also made a nifty pick-up (African engineer that he is!).

In his case, we used outboard pumps and eventually, we'll have redundant fuel pumps in the event one fails-he has a problem with relaibility and redundancy, or rather, he doesn't.

W/R/T doing it right the first time, I don't think it can be done! There are always things you think of along the way, or worse yet, things you did NOT think of that you find either as the build progresses, or the first time out with the rig.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Tis, I agree the RR chassis is definitely the way to go.. Ill tell ya, You made rockpile look like a parking lot entrance, You didnt even bark a tire over it.

The reason I have been trying to figure out this fuel cell issue is I have my cage design all ready, I know what im going to do in the back behind the rear bench for my coilover mounts and cage, I just now need to get some dimensions, I want to make sure everything fits right the first time( for the most part). Once I cut the rear inner body structure to dove the quarters I want to make sure I take it in just enough to cover/touch the edges of my bed cage, and I want to make sure the bedcage is wide enough to fit my cell, battery, and a few tools bags.

I really appreciate you guys giving me all of this input, You have some Awesome builds.Im hoping once mine is all done painted and finished it can rank up in that clean cool category. Bare wiht me IM sure there will be a few hundred more questions!

This is my basis for a cage with some better changes, but its should have roughly the same style, A piller B pillar, then dove it back over the rear seats into the " bed cage for coilover mounts, around the cell capping off the back tied into the rear bumper... UHH I think! :confused: :D
I think what tis is saying is that the fuel cell should be last on your list. Build the truck like you want it, then figure out how to fit a cell. Even a custom one.

Just do me one favor, put an X on that cage somewhere. I know mine is a little overbuilt but lately people are running no triangulation at all. I think thats dumb. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 630 Posts