Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED SPECS
82 4x4 longbed SR5 now bobbed 14inches
DRIVETRAIN
22r recent rebuild under 10k miles
5speed L50
dual cases marlin rotated adapter 4.7 in rear case twin sticked front range crossmember and skid.
FRONT AXLE
81 front housing, 6 stud knuckles/arms, 30spline longs/hub gears, ARP hub/steering studs 1.5 spacers, 5.29 ARB high pinion third.
REAR AXLE
Tacoma width Diamond housing, Poly Performance shafts, 5.29 ARB v6 third, Chevy rotors/calipers on custom brackets.
SUSPENSION FRONT
Marlin 4inch springs 5150 shocks 6inch shackles
SUSPENSION REAR
Chevy 63s 6inch shackle, also 1/2 set up for a 4 link, 5125 shocks
WHEELS/TIRES
36x13.5x15 Iroks on 2.5bs steelies
MISC
SR5 bucket seats and simple fabed center console, cb, stereo, round eye rock lights, viair 460c compressor with tank.

after selling my crawler I needed a new project I always loved the look of the first gens so I went out looking. I am lucky enough to live in AZ where there is little rust so I have a good selection. I ended up buying an 82 the guy wanted 3500 after a few hours and a 18 pack I talked him down to 1650
basically just a real clean first gen I cant find any rust... original paint and I don't think anything has ever been hauled in the bed.
heres some pics of how it looked when I picked it up

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Im not 100% sure what the plan is yet I originally wanted to build another crawler but this truck is in damn good shape soo I think ill just do a slow build and try to keep the body off the rocks for a while:shaking:

heres what im thinking
4inch lift front springs or rears
rear 63s
built axles 5.29s and arbs high steer ifs rear axle
dual ultimate
bob bed maybe repaint it
Id like this truck to be a good daily driver for a while so im not sure what tires to go with.

got started on the truck yesterday pulled the front axle and stripped it down for gussets and armor
I saved some good stuff from when I sold my crawler for the front axle
5.29 high pinion ARB
30 spline longs and hub gears
ARP hub and steering studs
for the rear I have a v6 5.29 ARB

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
now that some bitch is clean!!!!

kinda how mine was when i bought it..
dam you must have gotten that dude drunk for him to take that price so low from what he wanted:D but you gotta do what you gotta do to get a good deal these days..:laughing:

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
that thing is cherry... you guys are some lucky sobs that dont live in the rust belt.... :smokin:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bobbed the bed 14 inches the truck was originally a long bed and its now 2 inches shorter than a stock short bed. I also cut out the stock rear crossmember and added a new crossmember at the rearmost part of the frame out of some 3x2 box later ill add a hitch mount in the box for a D ring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
You should keep the bumper. Bob the bed, but leave the bumper.:D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah. And then?

I took the whole bed off and welded it back together the pic with the bed on the truck its just sitting there not welded. when I had the bed off I cut out the rear xmember and replaced it with a new one out of some 2x3 I also added a new rear shock mount. I cut that lower section of the bed off behind the wheels Ill get a better pic this weekend of how it turned out. thats not me in the last pic thats my sisters boyfriend Chaz who helped a lot thanks bitches :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heres some progress from the front end
I cut out the front hanger and added a prefab one I had someone else weld it on... and he put it in the wrong spot:mad3: It sits about 1/4 inch below the factory crossmember. I might cut it out raise it and weld it back in currently it only makes contact and is welded on the sides. or maybe just add some gussets between the two:confused:
front springs are marlin 4 inch off one of my old trucks
added shock hoops with some 5150s
pulled the old push pull and ps added trail gear xover steering with 6 stud arms factory knuckles and an ifs box Tim and I moved the box as far forward as we could and in the process cut a little too much out of the core support but it works. Ill get a better pic of the gap between the prefab hanger and the factory crossmember

I still need to do bump stops and steering stabilizer and make some tabs for the brake lines (cut the backing plate down)

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
started working on an air source for my arbs and to fill tires I sold my arb compressor I wanted something that would do both and could still be portable. started with this it was a small portable compressor system I built a few years back for airbrush work. I pulled the compressor off. I plan on mounting the tank under the bed and have the compressor itself be portable. with quick connects for air and power.
sorry I dont know how to post an image then text and another image/text and so on:homer: so there just going to be in a bunch.
heres the tank with all the crap I need on it
pic of the pressure reg/gauge/arb hook ups.
and the compressor im going to use its a viar 460c 100%duty cycle I picked it up new from a guy building a mini truck who never finished his truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finally got some sliders on the truck. I also got the rear done Chevy 63s I made the front hangers out of some 3.5 box that I cut down to 2.5 made them long and low so they wont get hung up as easily. I moved my front hangers forward 11 inches eye to eye and it seemed to move my rear axle back a bit. (next time ill use a plumb line)

what do you think about the rear shackle angle?

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heres a better pic of the gap in the front between the old and new hanger I think im going to cut it off along with the center section of the factory crossmember and replace it with a piece of box and then weld the new hanger to that loosing the gap.

heres some pics of how it looks with the bed back on I still need to clean up and level the lower edge of the bed, along with adding the corner piece I cut out by the wheel well.

the truck is at the point that it looks goofy riding on 31s I scored 2 36x13.5x15 iroks for 50 so I need to go order 2 more.

and the best thing I got was a tacoma width diamond that I got from carey at gotpropane when he changed out axles. careys had it for a few years and beat this piss out of it, and even after all that abuse the only wear are some scratches on the ouside of the housing. The housing also came with a set of poly shafts and a spare taco shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
36 iroks 2.5bs steelies
started to put my crawl box together
the goal for the weekend is put 4.7 in rear case install duals flat belly/new tunnel/floor figure out how to level the truck (rear sits 3 1/4 lower than front) and install the rear diamond if we get to it.

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
I just recieved the parts to do the dual fuel. Give me a shout when you get a chance to work out some details:beer:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts