Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the state of panic that everyone is in right now over a possible assault weapons ban coming up, it's motivated me to quit dragging on an AR build, and find a way to get some lowers while I still can. I'm hoping nothing comes out of this, but I'd rather have my ass covered than get caught in a ban with no ARs to build.

I'm looking at picking up a couple lowers now, so that in the event a ban goes into place, I can still build a couple of ARs to enjoy for years to come. I know I can come up wth the cash to buy probably 2-3 lowers and here's where my dilemma comes in.

I plan on buying at least one lower in the 5.56 flavor. Probably two so the fiance can have her own at some point. (Dangerous I know:flipoff2:) These will be used for general fawking around/ possible varmit hunting. I had planned on also buying a .308 lower to use for deer and larger game if I ever get the chance to hunt something larger (elk/bear?). The more I'm thinking about it though, i'm not sure the .308 is the best idea. Cost seems to be much higher and that would require me to get additional mags and a whole separate part set for a .308 brand lower.

I've been reading up on 300 blackout, and it seems to be at least a possibility, that could work pretty well for what I want it to do. The only thing is, I haven't found much information on it and how it compares to a .308.

If I'm not mistaken, 300 blackout would use the same lower as a 5.56, which would mean I could have much more interchangeability between the guns, instead of having a dedicated .308 rifle with it's own set of parts. The only thing that is different between 5.56 and 300 blackout is the upper, correct? From what I've read, mags are the same and can be loaded with either 5.56 or 300.

My main question is hunting with a 300 blackout vs. a .308. Anyone have some experience on how the 300 blackout handles deer and possibly larger game? I know some of you have ARs in the 300 blackout variety, how do they work for hunting? Is it significantly better than a 5.56, or is my best bet still to go with a .308 if I want a dedicated AR platform hunting rifle?

Thanks for the help guys. I know its still going to be a challenge to find a few lowers, but If I can, this AR build is on. Just need to know whether or not I'll be happy with a 300 Blackout or need to go .308

Off to look for some bleach.. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
.300 isn't really what I would use for hunting outside of 50 yards. To me is comparable to revolver hunting. If you can limit yourself to a small range then maybe, but that takes a lot of self control if you have a rifle in your hands.

Ymmv and for what it's worth I hunt elk with a ruger .480.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
killed plenty of animals (mainly pigs) with my .300BLK, easily good to 200yards w/ supersonic ammo, go to 100ydish w/ subs

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
300blk should be good out to almost 200yds. I dont know why people keep saying that you need to be close. There are plenty of people using it for hunting and loving it.

The Firearm Blog » Bill Wilson goes hunting with the .300 AAC BLK

You obviously do not hunt ELK.

A .270 should be the minimum . I use a .264 magnum or a .300 win mag for them since you rarely get a close shot where I hunt. I would not risk a wonded animal with an underpowered cartridge. A whitetail at 100 yards is not an Elk at 200+.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
300blk should be good out to almost 200yds. I dont know why people keep saying that you need to be close. There are plenty of people using it for hunting and loving it.

The Firearm Blog » Bill Wilson goes hunting with the .300 AAC BLK
For starters he said elk and bear. So at 100 yards your super duper 300 has about the same energy as a 44 mag load at the muzzle.

Personally I would rely on a hunt with a 44 mag at very far distances on an elk or a bear. They are not magical animals, but they are not deer either.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
300 blackout for deer, pigs, bear but buy another rifle for elk. I wouldn't even hunt elk with my .308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
For starters he said elk and bear. So at 100 yards your super duper 300 has about the same energy as a 44 mag load at the muzzle.

Personally I would rely on a hunt with a 44 mag at very far distances on an elk or a bear. They are not magical animals, but they are not deer either.
didn't see where he said elk and bear. Yeah, 300blk wouldn't work for that. I was thinking deer would be the largest.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
didn't see where he said elk and bear. Yeah, 300blk wouldn't work for that. I was thinking deer would be the largest.
Should kill a black bear with no issues.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I would not advise hunting Grizzly with it but I am confident it would put down any bear were I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Frickin LOVE carrying mine in the woods!! Lightweight, ergonomic, and just plain comfy. Kills deer dead! Shot 3 this year, longest at 105yds. All dropped in their tracks. I'd feel comfy shooting 200-250yds all day at deer or similar.

It may be mentioned, but the ONLY difference between it and a vanilla 5.56/.224 AR is the barrel. Makes building and using various guns from early build stages super simple. Think same mags, BCG/CH, and even complete lower assembly if need be.

I'd say go for a couple regular like you say then just buy or build a .300 upper for use when you need it.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Frickin LOVE carrying mine in the woods!! Lightweight, ergonomic, and just plain comfy. Kills deer dead! Shot 3 this year, longest at 105yds. All dropped in their tracks. I'd feel comfy shooting 200-250yds all day at deer or similar.

This is why I want to build one, Set it up as a SBR with my can For hog hunting and walking in the woods hunting Texas Whitetail deer ( large goats) a couple of times a year.

I just need to find a reasonably priced 8-10 inch brl.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I have killed two whitetail deer with mine, both about 80-90 yard shots. Whoever said 50 yards is... Well... Retarded.

I will report back later in the year after season is over and I get to do a lot more shooting with it and get a good feel for it.

I do plan to be getting a can for it for sure.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Oh, more:

Not sure I would build one right now, though. Prices have gone up on the uppers, and ammo is pretty hard to find right now, especially game type ammo. I have a feeling with all the ammo buying, the boutique calipers like this will get pushed back as they all try to crank out the popular rounds... Making it even harder to find ammo.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Oh, more:

Not sure I would build one right now, though. Prices have gone up on the uppers, and ammo is pretty hard to find right now, especially game type ammo. I have a feeling with all the ammo buying, the boutique calipers like this will get pushed back as they all try to crank out the popular rounds... Making it even harder to find ammo.
roll your own.

As far as hunting with it I think it is real similar to a 7.62x39mm and tons of deer are killed every year with SKSs/AKs.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
roll your own.

As far as hunting with it I think it is real similar to a 7.62x39mm and tons of deer are killed every year with SKSs/AKs.
The SKS probably killed as many deer as the 30-30 lever gun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts