Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1999 400ex on trade this weekend, and am buying a 95 honda 90 tomorrow. If this works out, I will pick up a few more when deals come along.
I've ridden friends quads in the past, had a blast, but always stuck with a toyota, jeep or bronco for a trail toy. Now I live on 5 acres, surrounded by dirt roads, and have a national forest a mile from my house. I think a fleet of quads would get more use, and be more enjoyable than a rig. My kids are 11, 6, 3, and another one coming.

We aren't going to be running WOT, just putting around the desert,

What kind of saftey equipment do we need to aquire? I'm thinking helmets and chest protecters, anything else?

What kind of maintenance do I need to perform?

What do I need in my trail tool kit?

What do I need to look for while buying used quads?

What are good websites for cheap parts, tires, etc?

What else did I miss?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Helmets, boots, jeans at least.. I used to ride in a chest protector, long sleeve jersey, and gloves too.

Go to your closest motorcycle shop and have them print a maintenance schedule for you. I'd adjust the valves and change the oil as soon as you get it, then change the oil every 20 hours, adjust the valves every 60.

Bikebandit.com, rockymountainatvmc.com, a lot of dealer websites are decent too.

10 mm/8mm wrench for battery terminals, some spare oil if you've got the space, and a tire plug kit for starters..

Always ask the hours and maintenance performed, check for oil leaks, etc.

Should be a decent start for you.. I've been riding quads for 17 years now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
helmets and goggles or atleast safety glasses, and boots and jeans, imo

as far as maintenance, on my utility i change the oil once a year or depending on how much its been rode, check the CV boots, make sure they are no torn, brake pads, air filter, right off the top of my head, maintenance on my bike follows the same general lines as a car would

a tow strap is a must, if you are gonna be riding locally i wouldn't worry too much about tools, you can tow it back to the house, for other trails, a spark plug wrench, duct tape, pliers, tie wire, a socket to fit your lug nuts, stuff that would help you limp it back to the truck, a 12v air compressor may help too, my buddy has a big compressor hard wired to his truck and we've filled tires with it many times

denniskirk.com and rocky mountain are good sites, bikebandit.com has good parts diagrams

and atv brand specific forums can help too

·
Registered
89 Posts
A neck brace might be something to look into. There are some versions that are less expensive but provide almost as much protection as the expensive ones. I always wear mine, whether I'm racing or just trailriding.

Most quads come with a basic toolkit and I added a few things to mine, as well as some basic spare parts (nuts/bolts).

Thats all I can think of at the moment, pretty much everything has been covered.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!If you have kids you cant go wrong and well worth the cost.Not only does it cover your child if injured,,covers the other party and covers your ass!!!!!Quad repairs and hospital visits combined tend to get costly. I'm sure you noticed but kids tend to do stupid shit and if it can go wrong at some point will..I can say thankfully I have not had to use mine yet but know some who have..For the 12 somthing bucks a month or 100 somthing a year its just good sence..

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!If you have kids you cant go wrong and well worth the cost.Not only does it cover your child if injured,,covers the other party and covers your ass!!!!!Quad repairs and hospital visits combined tend to get costly. I'm sure you noticed but kids tend to do stupid shit and if it can go wrong at some point will..I can say thankfully I have not had to use mine yet but know some who have..For the 12 somthing bucks a month or 100 somthing a year its just good sence..
THIS

I have atv insurance through progressive on two 09 quads, 100k medical coverage, complete atv replacement coverage and coverage while towing for 340 a year.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
.... We aren't going to be running WOT, just putting around the desert ....
Yeah Rrrrrright :p
putting around will not last; with experience comes speed and sooner or later your kids will pass you left and right :laughing:

may as well get them used to the correct riding gear right from the beginning ;)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah Rrrrrright :p
putting around will not last; with experience comes speed and sooner or later your kids will pass you left and right :laughing:

may as well get them used to the correct riding gear right from the beginning ;)
Yup and that when you'll be glad you got the ins:laughing:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
THIS

I have atv insurance through progressive on two 09 quads, 100k medical coverage, complete atv replacement coverage and coverage while towing for 340 a year.
older quads are alot cheaper for coverage as well along with smaller cc's for the kids drops alot too..
The reality is quads are cheap and a dime a dozen..The real thing to remember is kids are stupid I dont care how smart you think they are,,hell alot of adults are that bright for all that matters,lol.The medical coverage is what really counts in my book.A serious crash can cost way over then what you pay in ins several times over.Hell just an ambulabce ride would make two years on ins worth it not to mention god forsake a life flight ride..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone covered the safety. Riding desert air filter daily when riding. Best thing you can do when buying used quads is drain some of the gas and let it settle. Has it been sitting up. Also check the diffs for fresh fluid or fluid at all. When riding National Forest remember that the muffler must have a spark arrestor. Also if the bikes have seen any mud pull the spark arrestors and clean it.If you have any questions you can P.M me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Full face helmet, goggles and boots...gloves if your a pansy:flipoff2:

as for your tool kit make sure you have extra spark plugs, some oil, misc wrenches and screwdriver. some quick drying epoxy isnt bad either....if you have a sport wheeler an extra clutch lever is a good thing to carry. i snap them fuckers off all the time

buying used wheelers always check compression, oil, etc..

for parts i either use ebay or local parts stores.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info!

I bought a '95 honda 90cc quad, with a sliced tire for $400, starts 2nd pull, runs nice, got a tire on it, the kids love it.

Bought a late 80s yamaha 350cc ugly SOB, missing all the plastics, 2 range, 5spd, reverse, for $330, electric start. I'll probably use that on in the yard, moving cars and trailers, and a back up bike I guess, too cheap to pass up.

I called on a 90, missed it, but the guy had a ton of gear left, bought enough helmets, chest protecters, neck protecters and clothes to set up the 3 kids, plus alot to spare for $150.

I'm looking for another adult sport bike, maybe another 400ex, and a 50cc for the 3yo to start on, and probably another 90 or two.

What is the best time of year to buy quads? Summer?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info!

I bought a '95 honda 90cc quad, with a sliced tire for $400, starts 2nd pull, runs nice, got a tire on it, the kids love it.

Bought a late 80s yamaha 350cc ugly SOB, missing all the plastics, 2 range, 5spd, reverse, for $330, electric start. I'll probably use that on in the yard, moving cars and trailers, and a back up bike I guess, too cheap to pass up.

I called on a 90, missed it, but the guy had a ton of gear left, bought enough helmets, chest protecters, neck protecters and clothes to set up the 3 kids, plus alot to spare for $150.

I'm looking for another adult sport bike, maybe another 400ex, and a 50cc for the 3yo to start on, and probably another 90 or two.

What is the best time of year to buy quads? Summer?

Thanks again guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts