Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start hunting soon and want to get a nice gun that will last but also won't break the bank!

I've been lookin at Remington 870s and benilli nova pumps. They are the same relative price both can shot slug and 3 1/2 shells. Not sure if it's worth the extra money to get the gun in camo or just in standard black.

I've heard that mossburg 500s are cheap but can't really back it up.

I'm lookin to deer and waterfowl hunt btw. Hopefully more waterfowl then deer though.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Get the Benelli. You wont regret it. Also search, this has been covered many times...

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
for the love of all things hunting, do not buy a mossberg pump.

whats your price range? breaking the bank is different for different people and it might change depending on what you are talking about buying. i say buy once, cry once. of course i think its reasonable to spend 1500-1800 on a good shooting O/U, but those prices may not be in the range you want.

·
Blower Binder
645 Posts
I like my mossberg 835 better than the 870's.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Find a good used Remington 870. The newer ones can't hold a candle to the older pre-freedom group guns

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've had a Winchester ranger for 15+ years. Yes I like a nice O/U better but I can beat around his gun around and not feel bad about it.

I'm not a mossberg or Remington fan so of go for the benelli.

·
almost contraband
1,057 Posts
I bought a Nova the first year they were on the market to see how they held up. It has done everything I have asked of it with a smile on my face.

If you decide to go Remington, X whatever on finding an older one. The new ones just don't compare.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I have a nova and like it a lot. The only thing I did was change the recoil pad from the brick they give you to a nice pad. Was my wife's first shotgun and is now relegated to duck duty as she now has a benelli montefeltro and I shoot an o/u when I'm not in the water. Never had a single problem with it and only paid 325 for it brand new.

-scott

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Oh I will add some more to this thread. I bought one "used" in 2002, think it had 2 boxes of shells through it. Shot the shit out of it until I sold it last year. I never had a lick of trouble with it until shells started sticking in the mag tube sometime last year. This was due to me NEVER cleaning it other than wiping it down. So never cleaning a gun and it never having an issue? Good in my book...

(I did start cleaning it every once and a while after that. :laughing:)

·
almost contraband
1,057 Posts
I have a nova and like it a lot. The only thing I did was change the recoil pad from the brick they give you to a nice pad. Was my wife's first shotgun and is now relegated to duck duty as she now has a benelli montefeltro and I shoot an o/u when I'm not in the water. Never had a single problem with it and only paid 325 for it brand new.

-scott
What pad did you change to? I've been looking at the Limbsaver, but haven't done anything yet.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
While I'm biased toward Beretta when it comes to shotguns I will say that I really love my new old pre Express Remington 870 Wingmaster with a modified bbl.

1,022 Posts
Best shotgun that i've ever used was a Franchi I-12 autoloader. I think they are only like $600. Lightweight, doesnt kick too much, very easy to shoulder and shoot.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You really can't go wrong with an 870 or 500 if you want a pump action, they have been around for ever and EVERYONE owns one.

If you want a semi-auto and are on a budget... Stoeger M2000 is a good gun.. they are under $500, they will shoot hunting ammo(mine sometimes doesn't cycle light ammo, but its my hunting gun) and they just came out with the 3500 model which will shoot 3-1/2" shells.

I have one, and my dad has one.... Both run 100% w/ hunting ammo, my dad's cycles 1oz. target loads, mine will not reliably.. need to go with a light 1-1/8oz load.

If you have the cash to spend... Benelli M2 series of pistols, or the SBE (if you need a 3-1/2" option) are the way to go... they are comfortable as hell... simple as hell inside(easy to maintain)

If you want an O/U... can't help you much on that... We own a Verona LX503 sporting 30" 12ga and my dad has an SKB.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Mossburg 500

I've killed as many deer, ducks, geese and rabbits with my Mossburg as I have with my 870.

I own several shotties but I grab the Mossburg before the others unless I am breaking clays.

YMMV
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at spending up to 500 but hopefully don't need to spend that much.

Now I know the 870s have the super mag that will shoot 3 1/2s, how important is having that? Or would a regular express which shots 3ins be okay? Though if I get the 870 in the regular black I don't think it's much more for the super mag.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Not this again...

half the people will say Mossberg and the other half will say Remington.

My shotgun was my first gun and I did a lot of researching and talking to people in the know and the local gunsmith (ex special forces guy). I ended up going with the Mossberg 500 that came with 3 barrels (28" VR bead sight, 24" VR fiber optic sight turkey, and 24" cantilever rifled slug barrel). I can do everything with the gun and it has not let me down yet.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
3 1/2's are for duck and goose hunting. If you don't hunt alot of goose/duck I wouldn't worry too much about 3 1/2's.

What are you planning to use this shotgun for anyway??

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at spending up to 500 but hopefully don't need to spend that much.

Now I know the 870s have the super mag that will shoot 3 1/2s, how important is having that? Or would a regular express which shots 3ins be okay? Though if I get the 870 in the regular black I don't think it's much more for the super mag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts