Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw in the Stinyfab build that Dallas and John will be using the Lowrance unit.

I don`t know much about this GPS whiz bang electronics stuff so consider me as a rank :homer:

Recall Dallas commenting that the HDS 7m is has become the standard. He is even offering up mounts for the screen.

Goggled the HDS unit and came up with a bunch of apps for fishing. :shaking:

How does it transform into a worthwhile unit for off road navigation ? Are there GPS Topo`s and off road downloads that show trails ?

Been using the downloads from
http://www.vvmapping.com/orvtrailbook.html
On my Garmin 60CSX handheld and it works pretty well.

Maybe the VVmapping downloads would give an enhanced view over the 60CSX ?

Then whatever was programmed from Garmin Nuval for the soccer team transporter for streets and roads.

Like I said. Don`t know much about this stuff so a few comments and links would be helpful.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
I have handhelds from 3 different manufactures; Delorme (with the spot tracker), a Magellan and a Garmin

All are great for hiking, and screwing around type stuff. The Delorme is awesome because we can update to facebook and let peeps see what we are doing as we travel

But my 540c (wish they still offered them) Lowrance is always mounted in whatever vehicle I happen to be driving

I lay down routes where we go and then save them. With all the driving I do, I hope to have a download of in the entire US freeway system soon :laughing:

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
The HDS series has become the standard HOWEVER, some of the older models are still around and are a good value for those that can't afford the nicer features of the HDS units. After shopping around a bunch 3 years ago, we decided on the HDS-7...would have loved the 9 for the bigger screen, but really, the 7 is truly enough for what we do.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Well it sounds to me like you're thinking of the GPS in a more navigational assistant kinda way similar to a tom tom, that's not what the lowrance units give you. Really these GPS units are more of a blank page where you draw your own maps. They are primarily designed as marine units and come with a lot of data on water depths, nav buoy locations, shipping channels, etc, but almost nothing for on land. What they do offer is a very accurate way of loading a prerecorded course with your own waypoints and notes to be used for prerunning and racing.

If you're looking for something for recreational use that will have Topo information and trails....this probably isn't it. For racing however they pretty much are the standard, and once you figure them out they are quite useful.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
You nailed it tight.

Was thinking more of a GPS (Tom Tom) then a load your own. Now I understand the difference.

Want to move to a unit with a bigger/better screen then my hand held. That has GPS turn by turn capability like a regular Tom Tom unit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I have 2 HDS5's and would like to use one as dual duty (Jeep and Boat)

Can you buy land map packages that can be loaded into the HDS?

Looking for this kind of info:

- CO and UT trails
- Roads

My buddy had a Baja 540 which could be loaded with road and trail info so I'm assuming something similar is available for the HDS?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts