Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife totalled her 97 Disco (not entirley a bad thing) :D . She walked away from the collision with a pine tree with minor scrapes and bruises. Thankfully
she's fine. Were going to start car shopping in January and she likes the X-Terra. I don't know a whole lot about them. Can ya'll chime in with some positive's and negative's about these vehicle's. Good years bad years etc.
thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The Xterras are great trucks overall. Fairly capable out of the box. Problem areas for wheeling are the weak centerlink on the steering system. Lifts, lockers, and all that good stuff are available, as is a bolt-on solid axle swap kit (from Calmini).

For everyday drivers, they are extremely reliable. The engines are all a 3.3L V6 based off the old bulletproof Nissan VG30 engine found in the older 300zx, pathfinders, and many other Nissan vehicles. The only thing you have to keep in mind with these engines is that the timing belts MUST be changed. On the Xterra, it'll need changed every 100k miles. When the timing belt gets changed, the waterpump should be changed as well. Also, the #6 spark plug is a bitch to get to (back by the firewall), but the truck should have a tool kit for this purpose. Otherwise, the engines are fairly easy to work on. Nissan did a great job designing serviceability into these trucks. Also, one other really nice thing is that many parts are interchangeable between the Frontier and Xterra, since they are built on the same chassis and have the same drivetrain. Older trucks have a lot of parts that are useable as well.

One known problem area is the fuel pump electrical connector on top of the tank. It is known to corrode, causing the fuel pump to quit. Hopefully some X owners will speak up and give you other things to look out for.

I wheel a '95 pathy with over 170k miles on it which is basically the predecessor to the Xterra.. it still runs like a new truck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just bought an 04 X for my wife and she loves it. We got a 2wd cuz she dont need the 4x4. Look to get somewhere around 15-20 mpgs on the 00-04 models. I personally, if you have the $$$$ then get an 05 or newer. The power difference on the new 4.0 litre models are big improvement over the marginal power of the non-supercharged 3.3 litres in the 00-04s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yall are sticking only to 1st generation Xterras. The second generation steps up to a coil-over front suspension, 4.0L engine, and rear locker on the offroad package. Honestly I would consider the 05-07 Xterras over the first generation. My wife bought one and both of us love it. Gas mileage is great(blows the 3.3L out of the water). Power is great, transmission shifts smooth, rides and handles like a car. I have wheeled with one New X and I was impressed. It did everything that was asked of it and did it with ease.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
This Is The Exact Post I Was About To Type. Looking At Xterra's To Be My New Dd With Mild Wheeling. The Ones In My Area Are All 4x4 But I Dont See Any With The Offroad Package Which I Guess Gets U The Rear Locker ? Is The Factory Rear Locker Inerchangeable Into Other 4x4 Xterras ? Any Help/info Things To Look For Is Much Appreciated. Jeff In Connecticut

·
Rotten Sperm
6,517 Posts
My wife totalled her 97 Disco (not entirley a bad thing) :D . She walked away from the collision with a pine tree with minor scrapes and bruises. Thankfully
she's fine. Were going to start car shopping in January and she likes the X-Terra. I don't know a whole lot about them. Can ya'll chime in with some positive's and negative's about these vehicle's. Good years bad years etc.
thanks for the input.
I don't know which year X-Terras are the best but I just picked up an 07 with the offroad package and rockford fosgate stereo. The thing is QUICK... Well quick compared to my ZJ on 35"s and fullwidth axles :laughing: . I'm taking it to the snow and I'll let you know how it does there.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I never liked where they placed the oil filters myself other than that it should be alright for a DD and mild trail rig I myself wouldnt buy one but it should be alright just no Disco as I like to roll or roll in Ford and Yota Truck's and Suv's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Info

I too am looking a an xterra for DD and wheeling. Would be used for a bit more then mild wheeling. I have never wheeled an IFS vehicle before? I would do a SAS as soon as I could I think. Any place I could go to get more info on the xterra as for as forums and such? I've been to Calmini, but looking to do a bit more research before I decide.
Shawn

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 2nd generation Xterras have a weaker aluminum front differential if you're comparing one to the other for off roading...but if it's mild off roading occasionally, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with getting a 2nd gen Xterra...4.0 liter engine, good power, roomier interior, and as mentioned already; the ability to get one off the lot with a locker and skid plates (OR Edition).

Good luck! I have no complaints about my Xterra, other than the IFS (which will be gone next month ;) ). Otherwise, I love it....this is my second Xterra.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts