Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Forest Service has reviewed the environmental assessment and has decided to implement the proposed action. This is good news since it will result in the trail re-opening, and with a section of "motorcycle only" trail being re-classified as "open to all high clearance vehicles".

Work is expected to start in summer/fall 2017 and continue at least into 2018. In December I emailed the Forest Service urging them to implement the repairs in an order that re-opens the longest sections of trail in the quickest amount of time.

The decision also clearly notes that the public (us) has requested that the repairs be implemented in a timely manner and that volunteers are available if needed. I was glad to see this because it means our voice is being heard.

For details see the "Decision" at the bottom of the following link.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=47470

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good to see some action on this. Looks like a 4+mile haul for the main rock haul and more for the compaction water. Little more intense than the Deer Valley work. What club maintains this trail?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Great news. I look forward to having this trail open again. It is truly a gem.

I'm also glad to see that they will finally be re-designating the road into Mud Lake as open to all motorized vehicles. I commented on that way back during the public comments period of the route designation project. There is a great little camping spot at the end of that road (where the road turns into single track).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good to see some action on this. Looks like a 4+mile haul for the main rock haul and more for the compaction water. Little more intense than the Deer Valley work. What club maintains this trail?
I'm not sure which (if any) club has adopted the trail, but the documentation in the proposed action contains some discussion of how the Forest Service will do some of the more remote work. The plan is to use a helicopter with a staging site possibly at the old Iron Mountain ski area.

- Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure which (if any) club has adopted the trail, but the documentation in the proposed action contains some discussion of how the Forest Service will do some of the more remote work. The plan is to use a helicopter with a staging site possibly at the old Iron Mountain ski area.

- Matt
I gave it a quick skim but I wouldn't hold my breath for much helicopter work. The length of trail hardening they are proposing will need about 40 tons of riprap. That seems like way to much $$$$$$ to use the heli for. We shall see though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is an update on this project from the Forest Service.

---

We received a State of CA greensticker implementation grant to help fund much of the repair work on Carson Emigrant Trail (17E24) and Forest Route 16E26. I don’t believe the funds are in our hands yet but should be soon. Most of that work will occur next year, 2018, although we are starting planning activities this year.

---

- Matt

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Just went up 16E26 Hungalelti from Bear River Reservoir. The road is wide open and no longer any 4 wheel needed, it is now a highly improved dirt road. Never went into 4H...only slowed by the multitude of rolling dips and water bars with lead-in and lead-out ditches. Wouldn't be surprised if they paved the whole thing next. Wondering why, it used to be such a joy to run. However, didn't go very far, only to the junction for Mud Lake, stopped at the peak where the weather tower was, which has been removed.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Just went up 16E26 Hungalelti from Bear River Reservoir. The road is wide open and no longer any 4 wheel needed, it is now a highly improved dirt road. Never went into 4H...only slowed by the multitude of rolling dips and water bars with lead-in and lead-out ditches. Wouldn't be surprised if they paved the whole thing next. Wondering why, it used to be such a joy to run. However, didn't go very far, only to the junction for Mud Lake, stopped at the peak where the weather tower was, which has been removed.
The tower is gone?

That sucks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts