Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a 4-link rear & a 3-link front build on a scout this week.....any advise or common problems I may run into?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am starting a 4-link rear & a 3-link front build on a scout this week.....any advise or common problems I may run into?
Common problems:

It will never get finished and you will get burned out on Scouts.
You won't do your homework first and/or listen to what has been done in the past and end up with a POS.
You will end up with a sky high truck as you try and 'work' around the lump of iron IH used for a motor.
You will waste your time and money building a link suspension on D44 axles.

Need anything else. :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
999 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I found some galvanized conduit lying around that could use for links......:flipoff2: just thought you guys could help out?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Well I found some galvanized conduit lying around that could use for links......:flipoff2: just thought you guys could help out?
Just make sure to inhale DEAPLY when welding on that. The Galvanizing makes it stronger. :flipoff2:

Read on the board about link suspensions, get the 4-link calculator and run some numbers. Then invest the money, clean out the garage and just build it. Ugly's right, most folks have big ideals, tear the shit apart then loose steam and have a giant paper weight. Purchase all your materials/links/joints, springs/struts etc. Make a plan then just sit down and do it. You can always tweak it/redo it later if it doesn't meet your ideals.

I've had lofty ideas for a few years now, but I've avoided the tear-down till I have all the pieces in place and the time dedicated to do it.... got most of the parts now.... see me in a couple years about the time :D

The more money you have to spend on it (or the more crap/misc you have laying around), the faster and better it will be done. Leaves are cheap, links are not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rustoleum.....I already got all my parts together...I figured I'd get these kinda responses with one post:p

-gonna run coilovers...
8 1/2 travel rear 12 x.350 main & 4 1/2 return (5/8 shaft)
12 travel 7/8 shaft on front

.....was kinda curious if a .350 main spring would be too soft, & curious on the travel legnths as well

·
Registered
4,843 Posts

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
why are you running 8 inch travel coilovers??
350 is a pretty heavy spring

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate the offer, but I already have everything i need......I think?
LOL!!!

-I am just a lil un-decided on which shock length & spring rate I wanna run?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I don't know shit about your setup, but here is what I run maybe it will help idk.

Front 4 link
17'' billstein coilovers with remote res filled to 90psi
eibach 16'' 250lb spring (main)
eibach 14'' 200lb spring
eibach spring tender
upper links are 44'' eye to eye @ 22.5*
lower links are 54'' eye to eye @ 12*
9 1/2 inches seperation (rockwell)

Rear 4 link
18'' Fox air shox 2.0 filled to 225psi
lower links are 48'' eye to eye @ 12*
upper links are 38'' eye to eye @ 22.5*
9 1/2 inches seperation (rockwell)

If I had to do it over I would/will make the rear links a tad longer, but still shorter than the front links. Also in the pic I have 2'' 1/4 wall square links and never had an issue for the short time I ran them. I now have 2'' 3/8 wall DOM on my uppers and lowers.

BTW the green heep is on 39.5 boggers just for reference......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts