Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 67 Scout that has a 4 speed that I ASSume is a T-18 or T-19. (Not sure what comes in Scouts, especially a 67) Will this bolt up to my Jeep AMC 304? If it doesn't bolt right up what do I need to do? Can I drill the bell housing or do I need to buy an adapter? A little help would be appreciated. Also, the Scout has a twin stick transfer case, I think it would be a D18. Should I use that or can I make my current dana 20 work with the Scout tranny? Thank you for any help. -Casey
BTW: What would be the first gear ratio in the Scout tranny?

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
pretty sure it wont' bolt up.

differnet input shaft lenghts - at least Im assuming this because it's definately the case with the IHs from the 70s.

You'll need a new input shaft, and even then, the bolt pattern to the bellhousing will most likely be different.

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
one from a Ford

or, I've got a bellhousing that mates an IH tranny to an AMC engine.... you can have it for $50 + shipping

but it's a heavy sucker.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I put a t-19 from a 78 scout into my CJ5. I drilled out the bellhousing so it would bolt up and made a new input shaft. Took the T-19 shaft cut it down and resplined it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mo,
I sent you a PM. So, let me get this straight. All I need to mate the Scout tranny up is a bellhousing? That sounds too simple. But if that is all then I will get that bellhousing from you. Thanks, Casey

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
IH used the AMC 258 (and 401) for a few years. You get the bellhousing that they used to mate to their 4 speeds, and you're golden.

and I've got one in my garage ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts