Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well for starters I don't have one and I am not about to pay scoutparts.com $450 for one. I suppose I could weld up a stout frame and have it upholstered, or maybe the 3rd seat of an explorer or ?

Anyone made one or found something else that works? My two kids will be back there so I want something safe n sturday..

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Brandon- I used a pair of low-back CJ buckets (free) for a rear seat in my EB. Just bolted them to a simple frame I made. Cheap and easy;)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just throught of trying the front low backs in the rear without the raised buckets - might be like high backs for kids ;)

I'll probably use something different up front for back support - probably the seats from my truck..

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Wow, those are pretty slick

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Urban Wheeler said:
Look on ebay, every now and then I see a rear 80/800 seat.
They are on the rare side and go very high. Last one I saw went for $250.

You could probably build one better and have it upholstered for less...

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Eagle-Mark said:
They are on the rare side and go very high. Last one I saw went for $250.

You could probably build one better and have it upholstered for less...
Dang, sounds like I have a seat to sell! :D

Brandon - OS isn't too far off.. but you don't even need the "jump seats" technically, since those big boxy fenders in the back.. know what they're for?

By gum, they're seats!

Plenty of supporting advertising literature and such showing 4-6 people sitting in the back of a Scout, by sitting on the inner wheel wells. :D

The back seats are nothing special. They mount/hang from the inner wheel wells.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Gum might work if Brandon didn't live in Cali! ;) The cops around here love to write child seat and seat belt tickets:

The Law Says...

Children must be secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint (safety seat or booster seat) until they are at least 6 years old or weigh at least 60 pounds.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/boosterseats.html

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Old Scout said:
Gum might work if Brandon didn't live in Cali! ;) The cops around here love to write child seat and seat belt tickets:

The Law Says...

Children must be secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint (safety seat or booster seat) until they are at least 6 years old or weigh at least 60 pounds.

Woo Hoo! Something in California makes sense ! :D

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Old Scout said:

The Law Says...

Car booster seats must be used in conjunction with the vehicle's lap and shoulder belt. The booster seat raises the child so that the vehicle lap and shoulder belt can be positioned properly, and the child's knees can bend naturally.
I think they've forgotten to account for vehicles that were not originally equipped with seat belts!

I ran into a dilemma giving my niece a ride in my wife's 800.

Put the kid in the back, where (per the law) she "belongs".. but also, per the law in place at the time of manufacture, there's no seat belt.

OR.. put the kid up front (where they don't want her to be), but use the existing lap belt installed in 1968.

I guess since both situations are illegal, it means she just flat can't go anywhere in the Scout.. which would be a problem if it were the sole means of transportation available...

Sounds like I'm being singled out. :D

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
tsm1mt said:
I think they've forgotten to account for vehicles that were not originally equipped with seat belts!

I ran into a dilemma giving my niece a ride in my wife's 800.

Put the kid in the back, where (per the law) she "belongs".. but also, per the law in place at the time of manufacture, there's no seat belt.

OR.. put the kid up front (where they don't want her to be), but use the existing lap belt installed in 1968.

I guess since both situations are illegal, it means she just flat can't go anywhere in the Scout.. which would be a problem if it were the sole means of transportation available...

Sounds like I'm being singled out. :D
No your smarter then them, you live in Montana! :D

Curious as to how not only CA deals with that but others to.

But having kids properly packaged should be a priority not a law...

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Eagle-Mark said:
But having kids properly packaged should be apriority not a law...
Agreed!

I have a few friends that are concerned (not as much here, as in other states) about the latest round of "seatbelt use is a first level offense" or whatever it is.. meaning you can get stopped for not having your belt on, instead of just getting a secondary ticket for not having your belt on AFTER being stopped.

How many police officers realize that there were cars n' trucks built without shoulder belts?

How can you tell if I'm wearing, or NOT wearing, my lap belt when you pass me driving down the road?

For the record, you'll have a hard time catching me w/o my seat belt on, but that's not the point. :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a few here at the shop. Call me at 360-377-4979

I have a frame here that i was going to make reproductions from. Is there any interest out there for them? Speak up.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
The Fleckster said:
I have a few here at the shop. Call me at 360-377-4979

I have a frame here that i was going to make reproductions from. Is there any interest out there for them? Speak up.
No...No interest :rolleyes:

Like everyone else I just found it easier to adapt some buckets to a low 1 x 1 tube frame and attach it to the floor with backing plates.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL this post wouldn't be here if there weren't any interest ;)

Just shipping it sounds expensive though?

It's not a priority now but I'll look ya up when the time comes, thanks..

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
If we're talking about BACK seats ~ I'd recommend the rear seats from a Colt Vista Wagon ~ they fold almost flat and tip forward as well (like the Scout II seats).

If we're talking about front seats ~ then jeep seats work ~ but then again, so do most other seats

1 - 20 of 29 Posts