Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving one of my scout 80's to my nephew who just turned 16. I've got an 3-speed auto out of a scout 800. The auto would be easier for him to drive. What does it take to replace the T90/spicer with the automatic transmission? From looking at it, the auto is quite a bit bigger. Has anyone done this or know if it'll fit?
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you have a D20 for the back of the Borg/Warner auto? I don't think the bull gear for the 18 is the same as the one that would be on the back of the auto.

IMO, this is not worth the trouble. It might be easier for him to drive, but it would be *better* for him to man up and learn how to drive a stick. Also, the 4 banger in the 80 will not push the Scout very well through that automatic.

The engine probably sits too far back in the bay for the "bellhousing" part of the auto to fit against the firewall, but somebody else will chime in for sure on that part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the Binder Bulletin was up and running, I would say to look at the "Project Rock Scout" thread in the IHSTO forum. They did an auto conversion behind a 4-cylinder. There is a problem with fitting it in the body without cutting a lot out of the floor boards and the tunnel cover. The 4-cylinder motor has no problem driving either the rig or the transmission, when the rig runs. There have been many problems with the EFI, the transmission controls, and some assorted gremlins. Once those get fixed, it should run great. There are plans over the winter for several folks in our club to help get the kinks out of it, of which the transmission is but one of many. While I do not have any problem with using a 727 in an 80 from a functional standpoint, it will not fit without major surgery, and your truck will not be very pretty or warm in the winter, not to mention the potential resale value taking a hit. Stick with the stick, or install the BW unit, or sell it and get a Scout II with an auto.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Colin Rush said:
If the Binder Bulletin was up and running, I would say to look at the "Project Rock Scout" thread in the IHSTO forum. They did an auto conversion behind a 4-cylinder. There is a problem with fitting it in the body without cutting a lot out of the floor boards and the tunnel cover. The 4-cylinder motor has no problem driving either the rig or the transmission, when the rig runs. There have been many problems with the EFI, the transmission controls, and some assorted gremlins. Once those get fixed, it should run great. There are plans over the winter for several folks in our club to help get the kinks out of it, of which the transmission is but one of many. While I do not have any problem with using a 727 in an 80 from a functional standpoint, it will not fit without major surgery, and your truck will not be very pretty or warm in the winter, not to mention the potential resale value taking a hit. Stick with the stick, or install the BW unit, or sell it and get a Scout II with an auto.
Colin,

Since he is using a auto out of an 800 it is the BW unit!! :flipoff2: Keep in mind the 80 tranny tunnels and the 800 tranny tunnels are different. Also, do you have all the other components from the 800, like tranny tunnel cover, shifter and shift cover? If not, you need to rig something up. You'll probably have to fab a cross member and may end up cutting the tunnel. I think since the BW was fit into one of the smaller Scout it will probably fit better then when we put the 727 in ours.

Presonally I think he would be better off with the manual. Sure the auto makes it eaiser to drive, but the BW is really going to bog down the little 152. You may want to consider some preformance mods to go along with it and choose carefully when it comes to converters.

Carl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts