Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did try a search, but had not luck in the exact information.

I'm looking to put axles on my YJ chassis that have a passenger side drop.

I'm really leaning toward the Scout 44's and have done some reasearch. I actually cut one out last weekend, but need some suggestions. Why are the tubes so small and what type of spring perches will I need?

Also, if anyone has ever done this conversion and can steer me in the right place, that would be great. I checked out the swap Lars did and got some ideas.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: I understand the entire front castor issue.

Basically I'm looking for anyone who has ever done such a conversion and requesting that they give me some links, pictures, or directly contact me.

Thanks

Jeff

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
A scout D44 front has a tube size of 2.75" od, 2.00 ID. A D44 axle is only 1.31 so how big of a tube do you need? :flipoff2:

Sure you don't have a Scout D30?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have scout 44s under my cj....outboard front springs..cut and turn....works fine....no camera to take pics.... :cool2:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you have an earlyer model year scout II it will be a dana 30 which as everyone knows are junk, I think they changed to a 44 front in 73 or 74. If you can get a later model year it should be equipped with disc brakes, Another sign of a 44, to my knowledge the 30's were all drums. Spring perches are easy to find, try www.anythingscout.com they have almost everything you would need.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you have an earlyer model year scout II it will be a dana 30 which as everyone knows are junk, I think they changed to a 44 front in 73 or 74. If you can get a later model year it should be equipped with disc brakes, Another sign of a 44, to my knowledge the 30's were all drums. Spring perches are easy to find, try www.anythingscout.com they have almost everything you would need.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
SnowScoutII said:

holy double post batman... :D

as for the scout axles, do yourself a favor and start with something else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts