Pirate 4x4 banner

Scout 800 or scout II ? 304 or 345 ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here, and this is my first post.
Is anyone familiar with factory front spare tire carriers ? I have a 74 scout II with one, and I’m wondering if it was stock, as nothing else has been changed yet on the scout ?

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
If nothing has been changed than before you worry about your tire carrier put new gas in it, change the oil, and get that old air in the tires cycled out for new. Then google "Scout Line Setting Ticket" and order one up for your rig but in the mean time get that old air out of your tires before it is too late.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nothing has been changed than before you worry about your tire carrier put new gas in it, change the oil, and get that old air in the tires cycled out for new. Then google "Scout Line Setting Ticket" and order one up for your rig but in the mean time get that old air out of your tires before it is too late.
Just wondering if that was an option, or added aftermarket. I’m guessing you don’t know. I’m an old woodsman, I know exactly what to do with a 4X4, but thanks for the attempt at giving a young guy tip, lol !

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
Just wondering if that was an option, or added aftermarket. I’m guessing you don’t know. I’m an old woodsman, I know exactly what to do with a 4X4, but thanks for the attempt at giving a young guy tip, lol !
I guess my little prank would not work on an old woodsman I should have known better. Disregard everything in my original reply as I underestimated your wisdom.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Old post, but a front tire carrier was so they could mount the 50 cal machine gun in the back.

Hey get that timing belt changed and while your there ask about the high performance dip stick option too. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like you’ve been ill informed, or just eyeball deep bullshit from some young smartass.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mid 70s had aftermarket spare tire mounts designed for front bumper mounts. I had one on my 76 Chev 3/4 truck. Actually, I quite liked it, as it made for far easier access with the camper on. Alas, I never did have a flat tire. Anyhow, that carrier looked OEM as it was professionally built

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh, I know chevy’s, however, I didn’t get into international’s until the late 90’s. I have a 74, and 67 scouts. I just can’t find any information on this with scouts, but scouts sometimes had a great variety of things you could order them with, even PTO’s like the old dodge powerwagons. This is why they were bought by many states for conservation and fire departments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Find someone with access to the Scout accessories catalog. Someone on Binderplanet.com likely has one. A lot of the parts were aftermarket but licenced through IH to sell as dealer accessories.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d have to get in touch with one of the main international harvester fanatics. I’ve spoke to, and contacted many, but no one that could answer that question yet. There were so many not in any book. Certain years you could get anything at all from the factory because sales were so low. They bent over backwards to sell scouts. That’s why there were far fewer produced than say broncos and Chrysler with the Jeep already had a big following from military guys. So, unfortunately, I’ll probably never get this question answered unless it’s already the answer I suspect, an unanswerable question.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,036 Posts
Old post, but a front tire carrier was so they could mount the 50 cal machine gun in the back.

Hey get that timing belt changed and while your there ask about the high performance dip stick option too. :grinpimp:
That sounds like you’ve been ill informed, or just eyeball deep bullshit from some young smartass.
Young..... haha....
Helmer & Craig?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What military is that ? The U.S. used very few, and that was mostly on runways from my understanding. The states bought them mostly fire and conservation dept’s. Of course Chrysler had the main contract for jeeps, but heavy trucks went to ford and Chevy. Of course just about every company had something contracted. I was 63 Bravo in the Army, ( light wheel vehicle mechanic ). Never once saw an old scout.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I do see the old Chevy or GMC in the back there and a Jeep in front of it. I had a 61 Apache. That looks like a 62-63. Looks like Cuba maybe ? Definitely not U.S. military.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe for you I should have kept Chrysler out of the Jeep conversation to make you sticklers happy, but many of these scouts were shipped from the factories with these additions. If you go back and look at factory photos you’ll see they weren’t Ford by far. They were so desperate to sell the scouts that they did a lot of modifications right there. It wasn’t like most other companies when it came to the scout. I have 9 classic vehicles left. I have researched this extensively. Other companies have done this before with certain vehicles. Most were done at the dealership, I agree. For instance, my 67 formula S Barracuda.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Maybe for you I should have kept Chrysler out of the Jeep conversation to make you sticklers happy, but many of these scouts were shipped from the factories with these additions. If you go back and look at factory photos you’ll see they weren’t Ford by far. They were so desperate to sell the scouts that they did a lot of modifications right there. It wasn’t like most other companies when it came to the scout. I have 9 classic vehicles left. I have researched this extensively. Other companies have done this before with certain vehicles. Most were done at the dealership, I agree. For instance, my 67 formula S Barracuda.
Then pay the $20 for a line ticket and see what it says.

For someone who has done so much research and world renowned classic car collector... you managed to skip step 1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have yet to start on that project. So no, I haven’t skipped anything. I just thought, at least one other person in these communities would’ve came across the same question. I guess not. Don’t raise your hand if you don’t know the answer. Weren’t you taught that in school, or were you just wanting to go to the bathroom on here ?

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I have yet to start on that project. So no, I haven’t skipped anything. I just thought, at least one other person in these communities would’ve came across the same question. I guess not. Don’t raise your hand if you don’t know the answer. Weren’t you taught that in school, or were you just wanting to go to the bathroom on here ?
I told you the answer, then told you how to obtain it. Quit being a cunt :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts