Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any quality add-a-leafs available for Scout II's? I want a full length AAL, not the short thick POSs. I want about 1.5" of lift for my DD.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'm using Trail Master (I think) too short wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Try Skyjacker or Superlift....

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Hooper had some long add-a-leafs in his truck for the longest time.. can't remeber what brand...

Patty?!??!!?!?

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
AAL

RustoleumWhite said:
Hooper had some long add-a-leafs in his truck for the longest time.. can't remeber what brand...

Patty?!??!!?!?
You can see them in this picture, kind of. Fourth from top

I think they were skyjackers...... Pretty long buggers. Worked pretty well for what they were for, cheap lift.

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hooper's look pretty short. Are you sure those were skyjackers? Skyjacker doesn't list an AAL for Scout II on their website, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't make them...

Heres what I've found so far
Rancho - 22" front and rear (same part #)
Superlift - only makes short for the front
Rough Country - makes short for front and rear (same part #)

Anybody ever had the stock springs re-arched?

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Length

Ben W said:
Hooper's look pretty short. Are you sure those were skyjackers? Skyjacker doesn't list an AAL for Scout II on their website, but that may not mean they don't make them...

Heres what I've found so far
Rancho - 22" front and rear (same part #)
Superlift - only makes short for the front
Rough Country - makes short for front and rear (same part #)

Mine were the same length as the third leaf from the top.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Front and Rear

Ben W said:
That might not be too bad, did you have the same ones in the rear?
Yep, same front and rear. A shop here in town did it for me, a few years back, before I knew even less than the little I do now. Add a leafs and extended shackles (5.5 eye to eye).

I could run 33's that way, but they rubbed pretty good when I stuffed tires. Front actually wasn't too bad. I bent in the lip of the front sheetmetal so it would rub and not carve, and clearanced the rear wheel well. That cured most of it. But, I still rubbed some, and the thing didn't flex well at all. The AAL's were just too stiff. But, they gave me more lift than my worn out 25 year old stock SUA springs...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ben W said:
Yep. 'Bout 22 years ago when I was young and dumb and broke.

I had my Scout springs rearched and added Rancho aal when it was still shackle forward. Stiffest damn thang I ever rode in. Didn't take me long to buy some Rancho springs and do a RS.

My advice is don't waste your money.

·
no strings on me
4,121 Posts
You might cut the eye off a stock SII main leaf and add it to the pack as the first "leaf". Cut the donor spring right before eyes.

I did that to my SOA SII and it added some lift and helped to stop what little wheel hop I had. Hard to beat the price (free) for a little lift and more added benefits.

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is exactly what I would do if I had an extra set of Scout II springs around. I may just have to go to the local spring shop and have them make me some. Unless someone has some Scout II main leaves they want to sell cheap.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Ben W said:
That is exactly what I would do if I had an extra set of Scout II springs around. I may just have to go to the local spring shop and have them make me some. Unless someone has some Scout II main leaves they want to sell cheap.
Front or rear? I need to look through my crap pile, Josh gave me a bunch of misc springs.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Lift

Ben W said:
Ben, if you go this route, please take some before and after measurements and let us know. I am planning on going to 35's before too long, and am curious if adding those extra mains will be enough to let me clear 35's cleanly with my SOA.

If that doesn't work for you, I have a nice set of lift springs I am looking to sell....

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Re: Lift

Hooper said:

Ben, if you go this route, please take some before and after measurements and let us know. I am planning on going to 35's before too long, and am curious if adding those extra mains will be enough to let me clear 35's cleanly with my SOA.

If that doesn't work for you, I have a nice set of lift springs I am looking to sell....
OK, I'm sure those springs would be perfect :eek: if they weren't 2.5" wide. :D :clown:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'll second that!

Ben W said:

scoutver5.7 said:

Yep. 'Bout 22 years ago when I was young and dumb and broke.

I had my Scout springs rearched and added Rancho aal when it was still shackle forward. Stiffest damn thang I ever rode in. Didn't take me long to buy some Rancho springs and do a RS.

My advice is don't waste your money.
Don't waste the money is right! Buy new springs and be happy. Re-arched, mine were $350 with an extra leaf. I had the LF spring sag after I installed the engine. I was basically fawked after that because I was broke and it was now my DD. Later, I replaced the springs with 4" Skyjerkers (rear sagged 2" :mad: Can't recommend them. Later I was told if I ran the hard top to get their 'helper' spring--WTF!).

Do it right the first time and you will be better off (cheaper too).

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Re Arch

Philabuster said:

Don't waste the money is right! Buy new springs and be happy. Re-arched, mine were $350 with an extra leaf. I had the LF spring sag after I installed the engine. I was basically fawked after that because I was broke and it was now my DD. Later, I replaced the springs with 4" Skyjerkers (rear sagged 2" :mad: Can't recommend them. Later I was told if I ran the hard top to get their 'helper' spring--WTF!).

Do it right the first time and you will be better off (cheaper too).
My local spring shop told me they would more than happy to re arch my springs for me. But, when I asked, they also told me that they would quickly sag back to where they are now, and re arching was a temporary fix, at best. They were very reasonable about it, and freely admitted that while they offered re arching service, it was not a good way to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts