Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here's the question I have a buddies fixing to redo the front end on his jeep. It is a nine inch running the scout outers and cj rotors and hubs. Would he gain any width in swapping over to run the ford rotor and the ford/chevy type inner axle? If so it would be easier to do that way. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I think mine grew by one inch. I also changed the knuckles to go high steer.
The Ford and Chevy have stronger internally splined hubs
The Ford and Chevy also have better brakes if you change the knuckle

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
The Ford and Chevy outers are also cheaper to

·
Registered
966 Posts
Change the CJ hubs just for the fact that the bolts on them come loose all the time, and when you break one parts go flying everywhere. New rotors for ford and chevy are probably cheaper too. The Ford outer shaft is slightly larger (stronger) than the scout, and a lot easier to find for replacement. When I did this conversion, I got chevy calipers, bracket, and spindle, Ford outers and rotors (already had chevy flat top knuckle) all for about $150.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this jeep is running chevy type brakes already, haven't had any hub problems with it since I put the jeep together for him, went with studs and locking nuts on the hubs. Is the one inch measurement overall or per side? Hopefully per side because that will about do what he has in mind without building a whole new housing and axles. thanks

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I don't know about Chevy outers, but the Scout outers I have look tiny compared to a Wagoneer outer.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I don't know about that one inch number. I know that when you go from a six lug 44 to a five lug 44 using Ford/Chevy parts you gain one inch. Don't know about the Scout to Ford/Chevy swap though.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
On my D44 I went from CJ D30 knuckles, CJ big brake/6bolt hubs, and Scout outers to early GM 1/2 ton outers/spindles/brakes and Ford wheel hubs.

I gained about 1.5". If you look at the wheel mounting surface in relation to the brake rotor you'll see where you get the difference.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
The scout 44 outers are the same as a jeep D-30. They use the same length stub shafts.
Yes the scouts are 8 bolt but as far as I know that is the only real difference.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'm gonna mock it up on a extra spindle and measure to get what width it is gonna add. thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts