Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to rebuild and upgrade my D20 to twin stick and Tera 3.15's. I would like to use the Scout 20 because of its factory twin stick. Will it bolt up?? I have a 304 w/ a swapped in 2WD T-18 w/ adapter. Will I need to change anything as far as input/output, spline counts, etc?? Also, is there any difference in length compared to a CJ 20? Thanks.

-Jacob
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
jeepsrbetter said:
I want to rebuild and upgrade my D20 to twin stick and Tera 3.15's. I would like to use the Scout 20 because of its factory twin stick. Will it bolt up?? I have a 304 w/ a swapped in 2WD T-18 w/ adapter. Will I need to change anything as far as input/output, spline counts, etc?? Also, is there any difference in length compared to a CJ 20? Thanks.

-Jacob
[email protected]
I always thought all Dana 20's were the same except Ford Bronco.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wrong, the scout 20 and the jeep 20 have the same bolt pattern. I had a twin stick scout 20 on the back of my t-18 untill it blew up. Just through a jeep 20 on in its place.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
ricochet said:
Wrong, the scout 20 and the jeep 20 have the same bolt pattern. I had a twin stick scout 20 on the back of my t-18 untill it blew up. Just through a jeep 20 on in its place.
Thats what I thought! It's been a number of years, but I'm using a 20 case as a model 18 on my Willys and I believe it came from a Dodge truck?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
rockmup said:
Nope, Scout's have a different bolt patern. Some call it a Texas style. So does the 300
Uh, Jeep Dana 20s (and 18s) also have the Texas pattern. :shaking:

About the only difference between a Jeep 20 and a Scout 20 is the shifter tower. I've used a Scout tower on a Jeep 20 to make mounting twin sticks look factory.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Terranaut said:
So a Scout 300 will bolt to a Jeep t-18?
Good to know.
You have to use a different bull gear, but it is the same bolt pattern. Easy to do, helped my neighbor do it this past year.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ok let's get this ironed out:

Jeep 20 and Scout 20 and 1980 Scout 300 are all the same "texas" pattern. They will physically interchange with each other. The Jeep 20 and Scout 20 use the same bull gear, the Scout 300 uses a unique bull gear that fits only that t-case. The Scout 300 also has one less bolt hole on it's adapter face. If I remember, I think it's the one on top.

The Jeep 300 is a completely different pattern that is identical to the "new process" six bolt round pattern used in Dodge and Jeep vehicles. They also share the same pattern with Ford full size trucks, among others. Of course, the spline counts vary, but Jeep 300s were always 23 spline.

Hope that helps, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Someone offering advice on this thread who knows what they are talking about. What a concept ;)

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Just to add clarification the SCOUT 300 was only made for ONE year 1980.... The Last Year ... and it is the Scout with Square headlights. If your going to start looking for a needle in a hay stack, I thought you might want to know how big the haystack is...

People who have them know what there worth...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
ItsaCJ6 said:
Just to add clarification the SCOUT 300 was only made for ONE year 1980.... The Last Year ... and it is the Scout with Square headlights. If your going to start looking for a needle in a hay stack, I thought you might want to know how big the haystack is...

People who have them know what there worth...

Yes we do :smokin: .

To correct Rock Rod about the missing bolt, it is the bottom bolt that the Scout Dana 300 is missing. It also has aluminum output cover and the shift "tower?" is aluminum as well.

You can replace the Jeep Dana 20 with the scout D300 with no driveshaft mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts