Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Is that a rear facing pitman arm? Is that thing going to turn the correct direction when you turn the wheel?:eek:
O no, I never though of that :shaking:

It's a stock pitman arm turned 180*

The steering arms on the axle are also behind the axle so yes, it works fine.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Progress, albeit small, is better than discussion of d&c. got the fenders in and tacked the mount spacers. Made the lower radiator mounts and tacked one in. Uppers will be bolts welded to the support. only one class tomorrow and the weather looks like it's gonna be nice, hope I work on this thing.

new tahrs.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
Laborc, gotta ask, what are you majoring in? I'm envious of your build, as well as your spare time. I haven't even had time to pull the door panel off the BMW and put the window back on track:rolleyes: Mech Engr is fawkin owning me, and it's only the first semester:laughing:

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Laborc, gotta ask, what are you majoring in? I'm envious of your build, as well as your spare time. I haven't even had time to pull the door panel off the BMW and put the window back on track:rolleyes: Mech Engr is fawkin owning me, and it's only the first semester:laughing:
I'm on my 2nd semester of my junior year at Michigan tech, co-op'd at mercury marine for a semester.I'm a ME as well. Even without a job, I don't have much spare time either. weekends, sometimes after school if it works out. Stick with it and do the best you can and it will start making sense. Schools tough, I would go crazy if I didn't have a few scouts, a boat, dirt bikes, and a snowmobile. I do allot better with coursework if I study hard, as well as play hard, not try to compromise. I've tried studying all the time and I get inefficient with my time spent and I don't learn as much and don't get the grades I want. As well as the time spent still sucks.
(Finals week still sucks, you study hard and don't play for the week leading up to it as well. Spend time in the library with your friends.)

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
I'm on my 2nd semester of my junior year at Michigan tech, co-op'd at mercury marine for a semester.I'm a ME as well. Even without a job, I don't have much spare time either. weekends, sometimes after school if it works out. Stick with it and do the best you can and it will start making sense. Schools tough, I would go crazy if I didn't have a few scouts, a boat, dirt bikes, and a snowmobile. I do allot better with coursework if I study hard, as well as play hard, not try to compromise. I've tried studying all the time and I get inefficient with my time spent and I don't learn as much and don't get the grades I want. As well as the time spent still sucks.
(Finals week still sucks, you study hard and don't play for the week leading up to it as well. Spend time in the library with your friends.)
Thanks for the tips, I have never been the studying type, so I'm still trying to adjust there. In HS I was able to saw fawk studying and go wrench instead, then pull out an 85+on the test. No more, and nowhere to wrench but a dirt parking lot:(

It's funny how many people I'm finding out are in ME as well. I've been between mech and civil, mech is being leaned to more and more with learning how broad the area you can get into is.

I'm going to try to get into my machine shop safety class here, then after I pass that I can use it whenever I want:smokin: Hoping it's not full by the time I get to enroll

·
Registered
778 Posts
Looks like you had nearly as much room between the water pump pulley and the fan as I did!

Looks good, keep it up.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I've got alot more now. I notched the upper radiator cross piece so that the rad tilts forward more, closer to straight up and down. I've still got to finish welding in bracing to support what I removed though. I wrecked foot and knoww riding my dirt bike tuesday night and have been only on my feet enough to go to classes. Maye I can work more this weekend if we don't get too much snow.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Those mounts wouldn't fit my summit radiator. Are you talking about using those mounts on the 80's style like i have in there now and trimming the stock mounting tabs off? not too sure about that.

Or are you suggesting using a down flow that used those mounts?

regardless, I like how this drops in and is secure but isolated.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
He's going to need one of those special overweight permits to drive it on the street. :flipoff2:

Like I can talk... I'll be lucky if my tank weighs in less than 6,000lbs. :homer:

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Somehow I ended up on the 1st page of your build as saw the above line... Posted 7/19/2007....

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

It has come a long freakin' way though - now just finish it and get it to a scale to see how much it weighs!
That was before I started working with D&C.

taking 16hrs of ME classes as well as fighting the snow makes it tougher to get done now.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,980 Posts
Hey Paul,
How long did your doubler end up being? 21"? About the same/longer/shorter as the original BW1356? I figure the ZF+ doubler is about ~29+21=50" long? How long did your rear driveshaft end up?

I know it's under 4' of snow...but if you happen to know off the top of your head. I read through and didn't see it. Thanks

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Hey Paul,
How long did your doubler end up being? 21"? About the same/longer/shorter as the original BW1356? I figure the ZF+ doubler is about ~29+21=50" long? How long did your rear driveshaft end up?

I know it's under 4' of snow...but if you happen to know off the top of your head. I read through and didn't see it. Thanks
I did a separate write up of the doubler, i think i wrote numbers down. search for that, otherwise I don't know exact numbers.

my 1356 was a slip yoke and when I had the range box bolted to the 205, before shortening the shaft, the splines stuck out 4-5ish inches behind the bearing retainer face of the 205. If I had to guess, I'd say the 1356 would have been an inch or two longer at the u-joint than the entire combo.
If you are needing to know #'s I'd be happy to crawl under there and measure for you...
in about 4 months. :D

Zf is the same length as a c6 btw.

haven't shortened the rear shaft yet. It's CV and I'm thinking I was looking at about 27".

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Current progress.

the bump in the forground is my snowmobile that I last drove a few days before christmass. There is a golf cart infront of the scout.

Needless to say, progress has slowed.
Where in the UP are you?I am from Ishpeming.My inlaws are still there and my Mom and Sister.You guys have been gettng hit pretty good and cold yeh?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Where in the UP are you?I am from Ishpeming.My inlaws are still there and my Mom and Sister.You guys have been gettng hit pretty good and cold yeh?
ehh, pretty normal here in painesdale (8 mile south of houghton, where i'm going to mtu.)

usually highs around 5, lows around -15. Lots of snow, but we always get lots of snow. my 4th year up here.

I think the proximity of the lake keeps us warmer than some in mn and wi.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Yeah.The lake keeps it warmer.There is always a 10* diference between Marquette and Ishpeming.Ishpeming seems to get the lake affect snow.Growing up it was nothing to goto bed and wake up with 3' of snow in the morning.I don't miss it!Half my yard is green grass and the other half has a few inches of snow on it in the shade.

They still do the ice sculptures at MTU?That was always cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great build thread! Is the block-off plate on your 1356 aluminum? What weld process, filler rod/wire, pre/post heating etc. did you use? I tried to mig an aluminum plate on mine and had two other guys ( machinist/welder ) try with tig with no luck.

241 - 260 of 317 Posts