Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Im looking for inspiration for a cage for my scrambler. I would like to run a half cab hard top, a full scrambler hard or soft top, and a modified cj7 top with a small tonneau behind it. I have a good idea of how to tie it in to the frame. What are your thoughts and opinions, Is there a structurally safe way to make removable sections? Anyone got pics? Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have seen two piece cages that allow for removal of the top. A front section to go under the half hard top and a rear section like stock. You just need two main hoops, one under the top, one over.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I modified a full cage for a CJ-7 to fit under a 1/2 cab. Trailerguy welded it for me and added some supports to it. I'll get some pics and post them later. Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I like the removable link that BTF uses. A "sport cage" would look pretty cool too. Something else I was thinking about last night was that I already have a tail dragger, do I want to throw a spare tire behind it or should I incorporate a tire carrier in to the cage? Mikecj5cj8, I have seen your full cage from rover before and I think it is sweet. What ever happened to that scrambler? you said it "had a full cage".

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been playing with a lot of ideas about this too for my Scrambler. Basically what I came up with is a similar idea to BTFs, but not as bling. Here's an explanation if you want it:

Front standard style internal cage that'll fit inside the halfcab top. Rear external style cage of your choice(angle, family-style, etc) with a separate B pillar. This design would use 2 B pillars, 1 inside, 1 out, and I thought of putting a little flange one each side so I can bolt in a short piece of tube for a little more support. This would just be for summer when I won't have the top on for long periods of time. Probably pointless, but an extra tie-in wouldn't hurt. I'll probably just build my own bulkhead for the top and integrate the cage through it so the 2 halfs are connected just shy of halfway up. This would eliminate any reason for the upper flange setup too. Sorry if this isn't the best explanation.....I've just been running these ideas through my head so far, haven't had any time to draw them up or anything. I'll start taking measurements hop on CAD to draw up plans one of these days.....it'll be a few months before I get around to building any of it.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Thanks guys, I like the removable link that BTF uses. A "sport cage" would look pretty cool too. Something else I was thinking about last night was that I already have a tail dragger, do I want to throw a spare tire behind it or should I incorporate a tire carrier in to the cage? Mikecj5cj8, I have seen your full cage from rover before and I think it is sweet. What ever happened to that scrambler? you said it "had a full cage".
I sold it and bought the one in the picture. I decided to keep a 1/2 cab design for the cage but, also have a full hard top too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts