Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to do this cheap as possible and not exactly safe as possible. Had an old harbor freight chop saw laying around that the switch went bad on and I had replaced a while back. Dug it out put a new switch in and made it into a handheld demo saw of danger.

Before. Complete with horrible smittybilt bumper that stuck out about 2 feet.

First cut.

Running the scetchy as hell saw.

Turned out the saw worked great and for $0. I'll stop looking at $300 gas powered demo saws on craigslist now.

Second cut.

Cut off the shackle hanger and the frame from the middle of the hanger back.

Boxed in with a piece of 1/4"

Hanger off the back of the frame

Came up with a new crossmember out of a piece of scrap 3" c-channel from work.

Made up a recovery point out of some 2" square stock and 1/4" plate.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tied the c-channel into the stock crossmember with 1/4" plate on the bottom and just welded the top to it.

Positioning the back of the bed back on.

Welded. No filler here, just welding and grinding. There isn't a straight panel on the truck anyway, why waste time with filler.

All done.

They are new spring packs so hopefully they'll settle to a little better shackle angle.

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Kinda reminds me of chopperman's build from a few years ago when he back halved his runner with a concrete saw.

Nice looking bob job.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hard to get a decent shot. Dark when I leave for work, dark when I get back. Front and rear shackle angles are now vertical. Hoping it settles some. The 3" trailgear springs are a good 1-2" shorter eye to eye than the old trailgear 4" main leafs I had in my old packs. Kind of a pain and I did not know this before hand. I really don't feel like cutting the front hanger off a second time and moving it again. One good thing though is the center pin in the new 3" front springs is about 1 1/2" further forward of my old springs.

· Registered
826 Posts
looks good man, the bed came out nice

You could trim the body mount a little and relocate the shackle frame tube further forward. Thats what i ended up doing to fix my crappy shackle angle.

It might not be any easier then cutting/moving the front hanger, just another alternative

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are 39.5's. I'll see how it wheels and decide later what to do about the front springs shackle angle. I originally did the frame tubes with a hole saw and all I can remember is the complete nightmare it was. That's probably what I'll end up doing though. I'll probably make my own rear spring hangers with 3 or 4 holes an inch apart for adjustability.

· Registered
538 Posts
if you built a fence of some kind for that saw it would be full on legit for cuts like that and a lot safer. I actually use a metal blade in a worm drive saw for a lot of cuts and a chopsaw would be like the beam saw version of that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.