Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we were about four hours into a trail run yesterday when my D 18 transfer case started screeching in low range. It only does this in low range. Anybody else out there had this experience. Thanks in advance, James

·
Willys Fan
963 Posts
Hello, we were about four hours into a trail run yesterday when my D 18 transfer case started screeching in low range. It only does this in low range. Anybody else out there had this experience. Thanks in advance, James
I haven’t had that specific squeal experience, but would think worn intermediate shaft and it’s bearings are a likely culprit. I think when shifted to low range the load on the intermediate shaft and bearings changes due to driving the low range gear, and that may get it to squeal, while not doing it in hi range. Intermediate shafts are a common wear issue, especially if a low quality repro. Check out the discussion in the Dana18 sticky thread for more info on intermediate shaft quality. Guessing a bit, but that’s the first thing I’d look at.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I haven’t had that specific squeal experience, but would think worn intermediate shaft and it’s bearings are a likely culprit. I think when shifted to low range the load on the intermediate shaft and bearings changes due to driving the low range gear, and that may get it to squeal, while not doing it in hi range. Intermediate shafts are a common wear issue, especially if a low quality repro. Check out the discussion in the Dana18 sticky thread for more info on intermediate shaft quality. Guessing a bit, but that’s the first thing I’d look at.
The intermediate shaft spins in both high and low range. You didn't mention if the noise happens in 2 or 4wheel drive?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
It may be the front out put bearings. The high range gear is locked to the main/rear output shaft in high range. In low it floats/idles and the mating surfaces do wear. There is also a pilot bearing inside of the front of the lower main/rear output shaft that the front output rides in. These wear also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Willys Fan
963 Posts
I agree with total newb and landabuser comments. The pilot bushing seems more likely than intermediate shaft/bearing wear. Even though the intermediate turns in both low and high range, I was thinking that the load on the intermediate gear changes when driving the mating low range vs high range output gears and might cause a squeal from worn shaft/bearings to only appear in low range... but the pilot bushing is the more likely candidate since it's locked/ unmoving in high but active in low. Let us know what you find red willys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts