Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a little over a month since the swap has been done, but I figured I'd share my build here.

I've had the truck for little over 5 years now. I've wheeled all around the country on IFS with 33's and 35's. It had 5.29's and lock-right's front and rear. It worked well for a while. I didn't care about body damage and just wheeled the damn thing (I've been known to follow buggy's on 37's and 40's through trails at the hammers and in AZ). I had always wanted to swap the thing, but after the front lockright busted, and I started throwing CV's every trip, my plans got a little more serious.

Some pics:

Okay.. On to the swap..

This truck is my only vehicle, my DD, my everything. As such, I had to plan a swap that would be quick and easy without a lot of headaches. I had taken a few days off of work (May 9-12) to complete the project. After some late nights, and one all-nighter, the truck was out of the shop at 10pm Monday and I was back at work Tuesday morning.

Goals for this SAS: get rid of the death trap IFS. Make a more reliable front end. Allow me to wheel more than I wrench.
I want to push the front axle forward as far as possible. I want a better approach angle, I want the tires out of the firewall, and I want to stretch my short wheelbase a little bit.
I am going leaf springs. I don't need a crap ton of flex. I want the strength of a high pinion 8" diff with chromoly everything.

Parts list:

Front: Diamond Axle, 8" High pinion (Marlin built, 5.29's, Yukon grizzly locker). 67" WMS w/ IFS hubs. FROR Tacoma brake mount. RCV inner shafts. TG "longfield" birfs.

Marlin 25MM steering arms. FROR DOM Tie rod/ drag link. All-Pro FJ80 TRE's. 78-79 Ford bronco forward swing steering box. Parts mike flat pitman arm. TG Steering shaft kit. Redline power steering fluid.

FROR SAS kit, All-pro 4" springs. Bilstein 12" 5125's. All-Pro frame plates.

T100 oil pan, pickup, and all that jazz.

Rear: T100/ Tundra axle. Will transplant my 8.4 welded 5.29 diff into it.
All-pro 5" rear suspension kit. 12" bilsteins.

My steering box is bigger than yours. :flipoff2:

Got it mostly set up.

TBC...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I got to the shop..

So happy!

Cutting..

After getting the crossmembers out, I was able to use the air hammer a good amount to cut down on the grinding time.

On it's feet.

I followed Brian's "instructions" that came with his hanger kit and this was the shackle angle I ended up with.... I moved it forward about an inch and a half after this. The shackle angle is still a little fycked, but so be it.

First time out of the shop..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended yp moving the front axle center 7" forward for a 111.5" wheelbase and an 85* approach angle on 35's. :smokin: Truck had about a 25.5" frame height at this point.

At that point we got the rear set up during the all-nighter and all that was left was misc. odds and ends. Torque all bolts, fill/ bleed fluids, etc. (no pics)
I rolled around for about a week without shocks and a driveshaft. I was hesitant on buying shock hoops for fear that they would interfere with the steering box because of its location. Turned out I was right. Got a set of ford shock towers that worked perfectly. Also made a square tube front shaft. I plan on getting a nice on made after I do the dual cases.

Little tall.. Looks taller than it is because of the radius cut fenders.

Reppin for PEPE!

Finally got to wheel it at K2 after 6 months off the trail.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I still need a steering stabilizer and a couple other things.
Caster is set to about 8* and toe is 1/8" in. It tracks straight down the road and has no death wobble up to 80MPH (haven't gotten it past that).

It wheels damn nicely. It's a lot more stable with the extra width and the wheelbase.

It will be on 40" MTR's next and have a crawl box soon after I get those on.

Me and some buddies recently put together an order of DOM so I've got 100' of tubing coming for a front bumper and an exo.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about time you post a build thread! truck looks good bro :smokin:
Thanks bud! I know my swap isn't anything revolutionary or anything but I just wanted to share it here.
Considering I'm one of the few who've used the bronco forward swing box I figured it'd give some people some fresh ideas.
Many thanks to Scotty for helping me out with this box (with part numbers, etc). This thing honestly steers easier than a brand new tacoma on stock 245's I drove the other day.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Thanks bud! I know my swap isn't anything revolutionary or anything but I just wanted to share it here.
Considering I'm one of the few who've used the bronco forward swing box I figured it'd give some people some fresh ideas.
Many thanks to Scotty for helping me out with this box (with part numbers, etc). This thing honestly steers easier than a brand new tacoma on stock 245's I drove the other day.
I wish I could have used a Ford steering box but there would have been absolutely no way in hell I could shove a forward swing box under there :laughing:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I wish I could have used a Ford steering box but there would have been absolutely no way in hell I could shove a forward swing box under there :laughing:
I've been debating on using a ford box on my 4runner project (that will be replacing my dcab) instead of using an IFS box.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You made it further than I have the sas that I started years ago :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I've been debating on using a ford box on my 4runner project (that will be replacing my dcab) instead of using an IFS box.
They're nice, but huge. One finger steering all day long :smokin:

·
El Presidente
6,519 Posts
Reppin for PEPE!
Absolutely awesome Scoob ! ! - I always said man, you took that Taco where most IFS guys would cringe :eek: - Hardcore as can be, and now with the swap, there's no place you wont take that thing. Nice work, super happy it's swapped not. It looks really good. We will hit some trails soon bro ! ! !

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I don't know why, but this build has convinced me to just say F it and run full widths.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely awesome Scoob ! ! - I always said man, you took that Taco where most IFS guys would cringe :eek: - Hardcore as can be, and now with the swap, there's no place you wont take that thing. Nice work, super happy it's swapped not. It looks really good. We will hit some trails soon bro ! ! !
Totally appreciate it, man! I'm very happy to finally be at this stage of the build. It's been a long time coming, that's for sure.

I'm planning a trip to AZRocks 2015. You better be there!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On another note..

Got my winch plate on order. Should work out great. The front bumper will be modeled after my old 4XInnovations one.

Dual Pull Which Plate

Also decided that I'm going to go with 37's instead of 40's. I know. I know. 40's would be awesome but they're just not in the budget. 37's will get me everywhere I want to go, anyway. And if not, I probably shouldn't be going there with my DD.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
What is the benefit of that steering box over say an fj80/saginaw box?
Ford box is big and therefore has lots of "assist".

I had a 79 F150 locked front on 36s and never felt like it needed any help steering

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
how much bigger is the F150 box than a FJ80 box? I had already realized my IFS box wasn't going to work, and was going to swap to a forward swing FJ box I've got sitting on my workbench. is the size and assist much more than the FJ box? What year F150 box did you use?

Edit - duh, just saw you said a '78-'79 Bronco forward swing box. Any chance you have dimensions on it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how much bigger is the F150 box than a FJ80 box? I had already realized my IFS box wasn't going to work, and was going to swap to a forward swing FJ box I've got sitting on my workbench. is the size and assist much more than the FJ box? What year F150 box did you use?

Edit - duh, just saw you said a '78-'79 Bronco forward swing box. Any chance you have dimensions on it?
The 78-79 Bronco box is the same as the 76 (I think) -79 f150 box. I couldn't remember the years for the f150 so I just said "bronco."
Follow some links for some comparisons by "me_tu"
Steering box, fj60, 80, IFS p/u - TTORA Forum

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ford box is big and therefore has lots of "assist".
This is assuming that the pump can keep up.
I did some searching and found that the stock tacoma pump puts out pretty similar numbers to what the Ford box wants and that's why I didn't get a PSC pump.
Right now I have a fairly worn pump on my truck. I plan on doing a rebuild on it soon and flipping the vane blades to get better flow.
I'll make sure to update on any differences I notice after that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts