Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for real world feed back on the two options for SD Dana 60 knuckle high steer options. There are several companies offering weld on brackets to convert the knuckles to high steer. Welding to cast can be an issue with breaking so wanting to know if anyone has had experience with this happening or not happening.

The other option is to machine them to bolt on high steer arms. This is certainly a great way to go but more costly. I would ship them off and have this service done for me.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
the only time i would go with a welded high steer arm on a cast knuckle is if it was a crawler that never saw the street or more than 25mph on the trail, other wise im going with machined

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
When i build mine it's getting machined for bolt on high steer. You should have a local machine shop that can handle it instead of sending out, but also sending it to a vendor here with experience in this service could save you in thr long run... damn it, now I've created a non existent situation in mine own head... send it out or local???

·
Premium Member
17,855 Posts
Whose hi steer arms are keyed? Looks like the Weaver fab ones aren't?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,855 Posts
I run a '95 BJ60, and fourwheelsupply.net machined my knuckles. I have ZERO complaints about the job they did. They've held up well for the past 4 years, running 39" Reds, 40" Treps, and now 42" Reds. I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again.
Are the 4ws arms keyed?

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
the only time i would go with a welded high steer arm on a cast knuckle is if it was a crawler that never saw the street or more than 25mph on the trail, other wise im going with machined
Explain why.

·
Old School
1,878 Posts
Explain why.
The short answer is that welding dissimilar metals creates a stress concentration. Stress concentration is destroys the fatigue life. Welding dissimilar metals is about the dumbest thing you can do when life and limb is on the line.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
Explain why.
personal preference, i like feeling comfortable when bashing through the trail way faster than i should be.

ive seen multiple pictures of broken off welded arms on 05+ knuckles

sure it can be done successfully without failing but its just not for me

edit; i forgot to tell you that you sound like a demanding little faggot

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
The short answer is that welding dissimilar metals creates a stress concentration. Stress concentration is destroys the fatigue life. Welding dissimilar metals is about the dumbest thing you can do when life and limb is on the line.
And there's no stress concentration with studs?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
After some research I have decided to get mine machined but cant decide between weaver or FWS. Im leaning more towards FWS, alittle cheaper, the arm is keyed to the knuckle and its located above the stock TRE so you can run a tie in kit. All which weaver doesn't do unless im missing something?

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
After some research I have decided to get mine machined but cant decide between weaver or FWS. Im leaning more towards FWS, alittle cheaper, the arm is keyed to the knuckle and its located above the stock TRE so you can run a tie in kit. All which weaver doesn't do unless im missing something?

Fordtechguru weaver is a long time member here who has contributed much to this forum. That should factor in more than saving a couple of dollars.

·
Old School
1,878 Posts
And there's no stress concentration with studs?
Yes but when bolted joint is properly torqued there is a pre-stress in the base material. External loading must overcome this pre-stress before the base material actually "feels" the external load = longer fatigue life.

·
Old School
1,878 Posts
I'd be surprised if the FWS kit is directly above (and parallel) to the stock TRE. I'm running 99-04 SD knuckles w/ Weaver arms on my buggy and the stock TRE end is angled. Presumably the 05+ knuckles are similarly angled?

I had a buddy who operates local shop machine some parallel spot faces on the Weaver arm and stock TRE so that I could run double shear.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
And if you like good steering geometry you'll not use the Ford parts at all.

Ried C`s and knuckles set for 7-8* caster after you`ve set the pinion angle. TR to the cast in arms for Ackerman.

An even better way would be to toss the Ford center and buy an aftermarket center. That way your making the axle fit YOUR rig not the other way around.

Not a fan of the Ford at all...............Yes, its buy in is cheap but the ROI sucks.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts