Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sealing hole in sheetmetal after running a cage through it?

I am shoving a D-90 style windsheild bar through the targa bar on my 'Kick and need it to be weather tight(I live in SD, it's 20 below right now). I've already thought of the boot idea, but would like to find a large grommet or something similar. I was going to just weld the tube to a plate, use a thick rubber "gasket" between it and the sheetmetal, then do the same on the inside, but I think it will wreak havoc on the sheetmetal itself as the rest of the cage is all frame mounted.
Ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That'll do in a few months of beatin', but it's gotta look trick for a week atleast! Besides, I am going to assume that it will see some time on its doors and I figure the body will be boucing around a bit.
My cage is 1.75DOM, and I'll be making the body hole about 2" dia. So, a two inch hole grommet would rock!

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
then what is stopping you, any hardware store should have those, worst case you would have to special order them

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I asked the locals about them and they said not available, BUT I was looking for something with a very large lip-like around some gas filler tubes. But talking to you, I just realized that I only need to cover/fill an 1/8 inch gap! Uhh....DER!? So, I am still looking for a few other ideas, though. I would like to make my hole a bit larger to compensate for movement.

·
Registered
625 Posts
hey well why not try make your hole 2 and half and that way u can put a boot on it.. or something since u were having hard time finding something for 1/8 so why not make it bigger if it would be easier for ya..

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking for grommets with large lips on them. I didn't think about making the hole small enough(2") to use the cage to hold it in place. I'm sure I can find something in 2", but would rather use a larger hole. So, what I need is a grommet with a 1.75" hole that will fit tight in a 2-3 inch hole in the SM. I think a boot will get quickly removed/trashed by trees and such.
I wated just what I got-some websites. No one around here really bothers to help anyone. If they don't have it on the stupid shelf, they "can't get it." Thanks kidz.

·
Registered
857 Posts
zukipuke said:
Well for the more thrifty minded folks..... I would take shock boot and slice a chunk out of the middle, the bellows should do a good job of sealing up a good sized hole...

-yag
thats what i was thinkin

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Back in the day I used to work on large sheetmetal HVAC unit that had to be air/water tight and we passed tubes through them. We used a 1/16 - 1/8" thick piece of round rubber and cut a hole in it with a smaller dia. than the tube.
Slipped it on the tube and assembled everything then slide the rubber to the whole to fill the gap. We used silicon sealant to glue the rubber to the sheetmetal. For say a 2" hole we would us a 3" piece of rubber. We would usually put one on both side of the whole for a little added security. BUT you need to do this all before you put the tube through the hole so you can get the rubber over the tube. Worked pretty good and looked nice when done.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
How 'bout one of those stretch-to-fit rubber roof-jacks for passing utility service through a house roof? Check out Home Despot...

Randii

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the part number I used: 6359SK18. If that doesn't work, make the "S" a "5," I can't read my own writing:rolleyes: .
I thought about the shock boot, but I would always know that it was a shock boot, and I like things a little more trick than that. These should look clean, and work well.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts