Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't use 9" in a search because it doesn't recognize the ". Can't find what I need without it so let's see if you can help me out:

In the rear...Dana 44 vs. 9". I don't need opinions as to which is better, I'm looking for the pinion height differences and overall pinion length differences. I realize that the 9" can have a companion flange, short yolk, or long yolk so let's pretend that the one I'm comparing is the short yolk.

Some of you guys have this stuff in your brain and that's where I know I can find it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Check this site out it may have mearurements, if anything it will convince you to go with the 9" regardless.

performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html

BlueYJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,673 Posts
What are you trying to put it in? Can't ignore the fact that the 9" is light, easy to weld to, and has easily upgradeable shafts with the right ends and cheap disc brakes.

Bryan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,608 Posts
I have read that in stock form:

D-44 can handle up to a 36-inch tires
9-inch can handle up to 38-inch tires

I'm not sure what criteria this was based on, I suspect that is was by the seat of the pants. One article was in Four Wheeling Magazine

Based on axle shaft diameter, bearing size, and ring gear size the 9-inch should be considerably stronger.

I prefer a 9-inch because they are super easy to find, easy to work on, strong, and have a semi floating axle. (plus I have a bunch of parts already laying around)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,658 Posts
9" all the way. They are every bit as strong as a D-60 rear.(come on with it!) Put a full float kit in them and you cant beat um. IMOP:flipoff2:
 

·
Wish it was my job!
Joined
·
2,106 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to get a rearend that will give you the best driveline angles. A 9" has a Very short pinion, it is probably the shortest in overall distance from yoke to axle centerline, but you need to keep in mind that the 9" also has the LOWEST low pinion you can get, except a D80 as far as I know. That is, the pinion sits further below axle centerline than a D60 or D44.

I remember seeing an article that gave dimensions on the yokes compared to axle centerline for several axles, but I don't remember where?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,658 Posts
No crack for me just like um. I've got a 383 chevy I've had for 8 years or so and I've never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
SilverZuk said:
I have read that in stock form:

D-44 can handle up to a 36-inch tires
9-inch can handle up to 38-inch tires

I'm not sure what criteria this was based on, I suspect that is was by the seat of the pants. One article was in Four Wheeling Magazine

Based on axle shaft diameter, bearing size, and ring gear size the 9-inch should be considerably stronger.
If you get 31-spline 9 inch (or aftermarket shafts larger than that), then cool. I would say that 28-spline 9 inch shafts are comparble to 30 spline D44 shafts.

But the 9" centersection is MUCH stronger than a D44, one reason being the extra pinion support bearing, which the D44 does not have.

A D44 might live with 36 inch tires in the front, but I can't see it living in the rear unless you are driving a light rig like a buggy or Zuk.

I agree that the 9 inch is the way to go in the rear, unless you just can't deal with the low pinion, or you need a passenger offset axle. I'm building D44's front and rear for my Zuk, because I want the rear passenger offset, and I have several out of Wagoneers that I can just relocate the spring perches on and go with it.

Later!
Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
lilscorpion said:
In the rear...Dana 44 vs. 9". I don't need opinions as to which is better, I'm looking for the pinion height differences and overall pinion length differences.
Isn't it amazing Matt, all these responses and so many opinions about which one is better but no info you asked for. Of course I'm not much help either but had to make that observation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
The D44 pinion is 1.25" higher than the Ford 9". I have no clue on the pinion length but the 9" is shorter.

On a side note, a HP 9" will gain you 3.5" over the standard 9 but uses a 8.8 gearset and is reverse cut which weakens it quite a bit.

Perhaps if you gave us some more info we could better recommend an axle that would fit your needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Whiplash said:
The D44 pinion is 1.25" higher than the Ford 9". I have no clue on the pinion length but the 9" is shorter.

On a side note, a HP 9" will gain you 3.5" over the standard 9 but uses a 8.8 gearset and is reverse cut which weakens it quite a bit.

Perhaps if you gave us some more info we could better recommend an axle that would fit your needs.
Okay here is the real answer to the question.

The pinion on a D44 is 1.5" below centerline

vs.

The pinion on a Ford 9" which is 2.25 below centerline


The dim. from center of a 1310 yoke to center of diff on a D44 is roughly 11.5" to 12"

vs.

The dim. from center of a 1310 yoke to center of diff on a Ford 9" is roughly 10.5"

He was not asking for which axle is better he was asking for dimesional data differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Re: Re: Search is killing me! Compare 9" to D44

CSP said:


Isn't it amazing Matt, all these responses and so many opinions about which one is better but no info you asked for. Of course I'm not much help either but had to make that observation.
True dat. Sometimes I wonder if people read the whole question or just what they want to read
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
Okay here is the real answer to the question.

The pinion on a D44 is 1.5" below centerline

vs.

The pinion on a Ford 9" which is 2.25 below centerline


The dim. from center of a 1310 yoke to center of diff on a D44 is roughly 11.5" to 12"

vs.

The dim. from center of a 1310 yoke to center of diff on a Ford 9" is roughly 10.5"

He was not asking for which axle is better he was asking for dimesional data differences.
newer update on info needed, go to "hj9" for all the info you want about a ford 9in ver any other.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top