Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searching for YJ Builder in Washington
Running into dead ends trying to sort out some issues I'm having with a 93 YJ with 1994 4.3/4L60E swap. My understanding is somebody built it who sold it to Bell Offroad in Bellevue who then sold it to Master Pull that markets synthetic rope. And then one more exchange of ownership before I bought it. I would love to get some details from the builder as well as compliment them on the build.
Biggest problem is once the transmission comes up to temp it starts hunting for gears and then shortly after will go into limp mode. Stewart Warner speedometer needle also starts bouncing around when this occurs around 40 to 50 mph. VSS has been replaced. ECU has terminals B and A and M (3 wires) terminals left in 12 pin harness. I've been unable to figure out how to pull codes. Any and all help or suggestions on how to pull codes or advise about purchasing an ECU that would be capable of scanning would be appreciated. Black one on left in pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bell Offroad was actually in Ferndale, WA, no longer in business...but, you can probably drop a message to Chris McMahon on facebook - (he was with w/ Bell and is definitely still around on FB). It may be that he remembers this rig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm beginning to think it didn't like it's move to Oregon... it ran fine in WA. I live in the Wilsonville, OR area. Fuel injection spider and supply lines were toast, plenum and attached sensors were packed with eastern WA dust, fuel filter was dirty. Motor is running good, but transmission woes continue. Found a unattched wire labeled check engine light. Hooked a test light to it and with key on it lights up. After I did that I read that you're not supposed to do that. Anyways... used a paperclip to jump the A and B terminals on the 12 pin and test light remained on with key on and did not flash.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have the original GM scanners for that rig. Both the OBD1 and OBD2 versions (Tech1 and Tech2), but, I'm also way up in Washington. Not sure that'll do you any good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Attached a proper light to the wire labeled check engine light, paper clipped the adl and the light showed DTC 72 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Loss (Output Speed Signal) my next attempt will be to test new VSS and wiring going to tranny and from there to ECU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts