Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reminiscing about snow wheeling and it got me thinking. For those of us who are not holding our breath for rain or snow this year, should the forest still have a seasonal closure? The natural surface roads will not produce any run off when dry and it seems counterintuitive to close them simply because this is the norm for winter.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I was reminiscing about snow wheeling and it got me thinking. For those of us who are not holding our breath for rain or snow this year, should the forest still have a seasonal closure? The natural surface roads will not produce any run off when dry and it seems counterintuitive to close them simply because this is the norm for winter.
Justin,
I have spoken to the last two Forest Supervisors on this exact issue.

January 1st rolls around and the roads are dusty..is there anything they can due to postpone the seasonal closure?

Nope.

that was the problem all along with a date based closure.
The record of decision now forces them to close the roads from Jan 1 to March 31 no matter what the conditions are.

Oh but the can EXTEND the closure very easlily and have many times

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick, it's a real bummer and I love to some day throw my support behind changing it.

·
5,906 Posts
Justin,
I have spoken to the last two Forest Supervisors on this exact issue.

January 1st rolls around and the roads are dusty..is there anything they can due to postpone the seasonal closure?

Nope.

that was the problem all along with a date based closure.
The record of decision now forces them to close the roads from Jan 1 to March 31 no matter what the conditions are.

Oh but the can EXTEND the closure very easlily and have many times
I'm pretty sure they have a way to allow access during drier times during the date based closure. They choose to not allow it.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I'm pretty sure they have a way to allow access during drier times during the date based closure. They choose to not allow it.
I do not think that is true.
The problem is the Record Of Decision has the dates 1/1 to 03/31
They can issue a Forest Order outside of those dates to extend if needed, but they have to go through the whole NEPA process to open roads within those dates.
I know the Supervisor did look into it last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts