Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size seat belt harness to you prefer?
2" or 3"

What brand are you loyal to and why?

What locking device do you like?
Cam, automotive buckle style, hook

Which mounting method do you like the best and why?
Bolt in, snap in, wrap around roll cage bar, or the "Y" series?

How many points are best for wheeling?
(of course balancing safety and ease of maneuverability to look behind
or to the side of you...)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
RSQJEEP said:
What size seat belt harness to you prefer? 2" or 3"
3"... never been in a nasty wreck, but it seems like common sense that a wider belt would distribute the force over a wider area.

I run RCI... not loyal to them... just the right features at the right price at the right time.

mine is the hook style. Its slower than some of the others, but its cheap and it works. I'm poor, so while I want to be safe I don't feel like investing mad $$$$ in harnesses.

Which mounting method do you like the best and why? Bolt in, snap in, wrap around roll cage bar, or the "Y" series?
gotta be attached to the cage. Mine isn't right now cause my cage isn't made yet...

depends on the terrain IMO. If you're doing high speed desert racing, I'd think you'd want all 5. For crawling rocks and trails where flop-rolls are likely, 4 is plenty. On relatively "safe" stuff, I like to just run the lap belts so I can really move around and see as good as I can.

j

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
3" PRP harnesses in my rig, will be attached to the cage when it goes in. They are Y-style to work with the seats. I'm not sure what style my locking thingy is, but it's easy to use. :D They are 4 pt harnesses, the crotch belt seems like overkill and is there mostly to keep your body from slipping down in the seat during whoops and such, which isn't a concern to us (usually).

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
RSQJEEP said:
What size seat belt harness to you prefer?
2" or 3"
Deepends on what you are doing and how big you are. I have been running 2" Crow's with sewn in padding for about a year or so now. They work pretty good for cruzin down the the trail etc. I am not that big of a guy I don't think (5' 10", 185 lbs). I think I am gonna get some 3"ers here pretty soon though. Peelin out in JV can beat you up a bit and awider harness would help spread the load out a bit I think.

RSQJEEP said:
CROW hands down best craftsmanship I have seen from any manufacture.

RSQJEEP said:
Latch & Link with velcro strap

RSQJEEP said:
Which mounting method do you like the best and why?
Bolt in, snap in, wrap around roll cage bar, or the "Y" series?
snap in or floor mount as it is also referred to (eyelet style), bolt-in also works well. I am not too biga fan of the wrap around stuff.

RSQJEEP said:
If you look at the Crow 5 point stuff you can run the lap & harnesses individually. So if you are just crusin the trail you can run just the lap portion

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I got the crows from dave and must say they are excellent quality. I sat in the pigota with the 2" and they just felt small. The 3" feel much more substantial and safer. Get the padding, makes them very comfortable. I have been training myself to wear the waist and shoulder belts whenever I drive on the street and its very comfy. It only takes a minute to hook up the latch once you get used to it and I use that time for the engine to warm up a bit. If I am just cruisin on the trail I use the waist only so I can lean and turn easier if I need to. I can allways strap on the shoulder belts if I decide to do something stupid. :D

I went with bolt in Y style belts. I didn't want idiots trying to steal my belts so I bolted them in. I wish I had gone with the v style shoulder belts instead of the Y style as it would have been easier to mount, but they work just fine. I would suggest getting seats with the two holes in the back instead of the single hole for the shoulder belts and then getting regular 5 points. Seems easier and more logical.

Kevo

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I run the 3" pyrotects, wrapped around the cage bars. Drivers side is a camlock, passenger is the hook type. I like the camlock for ease of use, but they tend to get gunked up and the pins sieze if you don't keep them cleaned and lubed.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I run 3" Simpson latch F/X harnesses. 5pt, the lower 3 points are bolt mounted, and the 2 shoulder harness' are wrap around.

I’m a big heavy dude and they are extremely comfortable in rolls and flops.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
ive got 5 pont 3 inch sparco camlocks and love them ive had the latch kind and they would cut my neck. the sparcos you hardly notice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts