Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i searched for info to answer my question, but i didn't find anything. Right now, my head sticks up over the top of my roll cage by about 3-4 inches. My cage is normal height, maybe a little too tall if anything. what seats do you tall people (by tall i mean between 6'2" and 6'8" i am 6'2" and i have a couple friends who are taller) use and what mounting parts do you use? yeah yeah i know 2a's aren't the ideal rig for people who need leg room, but id really like to see if theres a way to get down inside the roll cage so it can actually do its job if the situation ever comes up.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Really the only thing you can do is to move the gas tank and lower the seat. I use those Plastic RCI buckets which don't stick up much. The only real problem with lowering the seat is that if you have long legs then the seat really needs to go back which requires choping a bit out of the rear fender. Or you could do this ;)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
While not jeep specific... A tall friend of mine (6'8") had a heck of a time even fitting under the cage in his Scout. He ended up finding some low profile seats(out of a small car), chopping the seat base bracket in half and setting the seats back in about 4" back from there normal location. So now his seats are 4-5" lower and 4" back from the stock location. And he still sticks up a little and it looks like he is driving from the back seat :D

Not a whole lot of work in a voluminous Scout but I can only imagine trying to pull it off in a lil' Jeep. Good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts
A buddy of mine used beard seats and cut and reversed the inner frame in the back of his seats. Add some custom mounts and there ya go. Gotta lose the gas tank though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the gas tank is already in the back of the jeep. how comfortable are those RCI seats? ive thought about those before. thanks for all the replies guys

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I had to ditch the stock bench seat in my 72 ( i am 6' 8" ) and used seats out of a 85 nova, and bashed the seat mounts down flat, then used thick square tube to move it back about 2 inches, works fine = )

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I have the RCI plastic seats in my FJ-40 because I couldn't fit in it with the corbeau that we had original got for it. I'm 6'4" and they work fine, moved them back a few inches also.
With the RCIs, get the cover for them and go to a hardware store and get some foam padding. Put a layer over the whole seat and then a 2nd layer on the butt part and mid back...you'll love them...just make sure you take your wallet out before you sit down:flipoff2:

Joseph

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have RCI's in my Jeep and love them. The only thing I did differently from just bolting them on was I made the back bracket out of 1" square tubing and the front bracket out of 5'16 plate steel. This offsets the reclining position that these seats have to make them a little flatter and they don't put your lower legs and feet to sleep when driving for long periods of time this way.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you guys use the RCI mounting hardware and sliders that can be sold with the seats too, or did you do all that stuff custom

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
junkpile said:
did you guys use the RCI mounting hardware and sliders that can be sold with the seats too, or did you do all that stuff custom
I just bolted them down, the sliders raise the seat up and I'm the only one who drives the jeep anyway.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Early bronco seats(same as early mustang), and a 4" pocket cut out in fender well, and you can't really tell unless you look inside the jeep and pull the seat forward. Works good.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I did a write up on this on here about 10 months ago I would say.

I am 6'4 and fit in my cj 2a with ease...my buddy who is 6'1 and well over 300 pounds will not fit in it with ease.

The rci seats are to narrow for him...I actually bought mine from summit with the padded covers, then added some "egg-crate" for more comfort..take your wallet out and they are fine, however the hard seat with little give in the cushion makes it hard on your ass if you have a wallet in your pocket.

I cut about 6 inches out of the fender to move the seats all the way back, the back of the seat is mounted to the "bed" of the jeep, it mouts about 5 inches behind the "step" then I just ran two post to mount the front.

another adavantage of the summit seats is that they are made for a 5 point belt.

Just know that it can be done with a little work, I am 6'4 and a shade over 200 pounds and I have a full cage and have no problems...this is good because i am still new to this but i manage to roll about everytime i go out:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have any pics of this? is there any rubbing with so much cut out of the fender? also, what steering setup/column do you have? i ask because mine's not a tilt wheel so it won't move down if i were to move back that far. is any of the mouunting stuff you used from them? thanks a bunch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts