Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in california has seats in the back of their truck when you have people in there do you get pulled over

it is legal right if i have seat belts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Anyone in california has seats in the back of their truck when you have people in there do you get pulled over

it is legal right if i have seat belts
As long as there are seatbelts, you are good to go. If no seatbelts then if you have a shell you would also be ok.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ugh crap... I had this info on the old RPS site but as I recall the CVC states a factory seat and belts are required. The way I interpreted it as long as a real auto manufacture built them you can bolt em in. ie minivan seats in back of yoter. I picked seats that fit width and had integrated belts. Have not completed project yet.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
and brat seats faced rearward....

make sure you have welded in mounting plates for the belts and seat.

a camper shell is not ok with no belts. at least not in cali.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
so we can put an old jeep rear foldup seat in the bed of our trucks legally with seatbelts? nice! i just got a 4seater :D

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
During my senior year of highschool, back in 2000, I mounted a seat in the back of my F-150 with some lap belts. The seat faced rearward. I got pulled over alot that summer......but the cops always would say something along the lines of "just making sure their not sitting on blocks/buckets/etc.....Never got a ticket for it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
a camper shell is not ok with no belts. at least not in cali.
Has this change recently? You used to be able to do it? I haven't researched it lately.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ok found it, California Vehicle code
Pickup Trucks (Vehicle Code Section 23116)
Drivers are prohibited from transporting any person in or on the back of a pickup or flatbed motor truck; any person
riding in or on the back of the truck also may be cited.
Consequences: $50 fine plus penalty assessments* and one point on the driving record.
Exceptions: This section does not apply if the person is secured with a restraint system which meets federal safety
standards (no federal safety standard exists for anchorage of belts in cargo areas) or in an emergency response situation by
a public agency. There is no exemption for passengers riding within an enclosed camper or camper shell.

Bit of a gray area here...

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had brat seats in the back of my truck with lap belts the c.h.p. pulled me over and said you need to have 3 points and high back seats for safty reasons so now i have buckets out of a f150 and got no complaints from the fuzz.......besides girls love it

·
Registered
856 Posts
anybody what?
doesnt this answer the fucking question?
"This section does not apply if the person is secured with a restraint system which meets federal safety
standards (no federal safety standard exists for anchorage of belts in cargo areas)"

thats the California vehicle code, it doesnt say anything about 3 pts or high backs.

oh and if your thinking of like a racing harness? thats not recognized as a restraint device. you will get a ticket for using a seatbelt that is not DOT.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
No I don't believe there are any DOT approved 4pt. harnesses. I Wold run a roll bar and weld on some tabs and use some Toyota seat belts and grade eight bolts, and as mentioned reinforce the bed for the lower seat belt mounts.

As a side note I am not sure if the law still is written this way, but it used to be that the open container in a vehicle law didn't apply to the driver if your friends in the back were drinking(IIRC it didn't apply to them either), since they were considered cargo and not passengers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts