Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I won 2 gallons of the second skin bedliner that Ant gave away about 4 months ago. In that time my wife was in the hospital multiple times and I was trying to take care of a 2 month old baby.
Well I finally got the inside of my rig lined this last week.
I bought 3 gallons with the intention of lining the inside of my jeep yj tub and maybe doing some of the outside or a the bed of a short bed truck with what was left over.
I have 4 good coats on and I think I am going to stop with that. I still have about 2 gallons left so I will be doing another one of these when we do the truck bed.
I started of standing with a 2.5 inch 36 grit wheel and spent about 5 hours just doing everything behind the drivers seats. Here are a few pictures of the first days work.

I worked about 5 hours doing this back so when I was done I figured I had to at least roll some liner on the tub to feel like I accomplished anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was busy for a couple days until I was able to get the rest of the inside sanded and lined.
I used a small roller to do the main part of the tub and then a 2 inch brush to get under the rails and the hard to reach areas.
This stuff cleans off awesome with water.
Here is after 2 coats on everything. After the first coat it really starts to look better.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more pictures of the 2nd and 3rd coats and one of my little helper. He was so good playing while I did 2 coats.
I will get some pictures of the last coat in a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear of the rig has poison spider comp cut corners so its doesnt really look that bad.
Here are the last photos that I have. I put the last coat on this morning around 1030 or so and its very hard to the touch already.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no experience with herculiner but my truck bed is line-x'd and it seems pretty similar to that.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quality product that you can do for less than $100-$125

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
rubber

Id like to know if it will transfer, when I say transfer I mean like as a tire, it rubs off the black as it oxidizes. That would suck, everytime you touched the liner it got you "dirty".

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Id like to know if it will transfer, when I say transfer I mean like as a tire, it rubs off the black as it oxidizes. That would suck, everytime you touched the liner it got you "dirty".
it does not transfer.. I have had mine on for a few months... i will try to get pics this week.. the downfall is mine did chip when I had some very sharp metal slid into the bed of my truck :(

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far mine doesnt. I just slid the 20 gallon fuel cell with it full of fuel back into the rig and it didnt scratch the liner. There really wasnt any sharp edges though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
OK, so I go to the Second Skin website and no real product information, pricing, nada. It says Expect to see this awesome new product available for sale in mid August!; what's up with that? :confused:

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they made a slight change to the product. Someone told me that if the metal underneath the bedliner gets really hot the liner wants to peel. Supposedly that is going to change with their new product.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
The final texture looks better in your pictures than many of the DIY liners I have seen or used.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. It seems to be very nice. The only scratches I have in it were when I put my cage back in. The feet dug down in 1 spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts