Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So I won a drawing for some DYI Bed Liner from Second Skin. Here is my write up and review of their product. I will start with the installation and I will update this in the later months on how the product is holding up. I am installing in my garage the temp is on average 60 to 70 degrees.

Materials List:

* Second Skin DIY Liner
* Paint Tray with 4 inch Roller (Couple extra roller covers)
* Blue Painters Tape
* 2 - 2 inch paint brushes
* 4 inch Grinder
* 3 - 80 grit flapper discs
* Mean Green Degreaser (any type you like)
* Access to a Water Hose

I begin today removing interior (Carpet, Brackets, Plugs, Wiring, etc). I have not received my shipment of Liner as of yet, Should be here Monday. Here is the before photos:

I have some cleaning to do.

Next I will be roughing it up with some 80 grit paper and a wire wheel. Followed by a good cleaning. Will post up as i make progress.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Looks like quite a project.
Did you go with the 2 gallons or 3 gallon pail of bed liner?

Make sure you clean all that dirt out too!
If you use a soap, solvent or degreaser make sure you use a regular water hose it our before applying the bed liner.

Can't wait to see how everything turns out!

ANT

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
subscribedx2 (I'm sick of having dirty, wet rust holes.)

I've actually never heard of Second Skin, so for their sake, I hope you can make a good first impression, haha.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So with help of my friend Jason, We got the tub roughed up and cleaned out. This was by far the toughest part of the job (Still only took an hour). I used 80 grit flapper wheel on a grinder, Worked well. Then I cleaned it with degreaser and a stiff brush. I then washed all that out with water.

Here is the progress:

Then we just put it in the sun to dry out well. Next I will putting on the first coat.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We prepared to put on the first 'light' coat, I will be using a combination of a roller and a brush. I used a narrow style roller to make it easier to get in the tight spaces. I just used the brush for cutting in. Upon opening the Liner I was very impressed with quality of the mix. I am no expert, but I went to mix it with a stir stick and you can tell this stuff is thick and sticky. There is hardly any smell at all, I would say less than latex house paint. The first coat went on smooth, I barely used any of the two gallons on the first coat and it coated it extremely well (for a first coat).

Here is the progress:

In the last picture you can see how well it covered after one coat, and how much texture it has. So far I am impressed. This was installed at a temperature of 65 degrees.

I was surprised at how easy it washes off the brushes (if you get it when it is wet). It came of my hands and my garage floor (Thanks Jason) with just water.

Now we will let this dry and add more coats.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
About an hour later it was ready for a second coat. The next coat went on thick and easy, It really likes to stick to it's self. I apply it as thick as it would go on. Then let that dry (a couple hours) to the touch. The next coat we went to pouring it in and spreading it out evenly with a roller. The roller leaves a much cleaner finish than a brush. I was very happy with the coverage of the product. Then we let that dry over night.

Here is the finale results.

You can see how thick it is.

Here is a up close shot of the texture.

At this point I have about a quarter of the 2 gallons left. I am happy with the amount of coverage and will just leave it, as apposed to adding additional coats. It is on thick. I may find a use for the left over in the future. As far as quality of product, so far this is :smokin:. I have installed the other DIY Liners and this is by far superior. Looking at this verses a professional spray in liner I can't tell a difference, Except the price. If your looking for a liner for your rig this is a good option to the spray in this is it.

Second Skin I give you guys a thumbs up on so far a quality product. I will give this thread updates on how this is holding up. I will wait a least a week before I install the seats and so on back in the jeep. I will post photos of the finished product then.

Again I am very happy so far.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Good to hear. Looks like mine will look that nice.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Very nice write up!
Please do keep us updated. I need your feedback over the next few months.
Our lab testing can only show us so much. The more real world results we get, the better.

Sounds like you did everything right though.
Pics look pretty good too.

For that extra quart you have left, you might want to put it up under the wheel wells for some protection there. Just a thought.

ANT

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice write up!
Please do keep us updated. I need your feedback over the next few months.
Our lab testing can only show us so much. The more real world results we get, the better.

Sounds like you did everything right though.
Pics look pretty good too.

For that extra quart you have left, you might want to put it up under the wheel wells for some protection there. Just a thought.

ANT
Thanks,

You read my mind.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah.. That looks great!

Are you happy with how it looks overall?

I think it turned out very nice.

Good job!

ANT
I am extremely happy with the way it looks.

I could not have asked for an easier installation.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Thats awesome. I got my stuff this weekend so I will be doing the same thing in a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Make sure to update in a month or two.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts