Pirate 4x4 banner

341 - 360 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The crossover hangs a little below the frame and crossmember but I was hoping for a lot to keep it flush. :D

The more important part.. the driveshaft clears..

2.25 back to a Y and into the 3" muffler.

And while articulated on the ramp is far from full droop.. the 1410 was not stressed.

Nor the 1310 CV.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
So exhaust wise, the crossover is a little lower than I wanted, but it's been a while since I laid frame.

Maybe I'll weld up some small trapezoid ramps at the right spot just in case..

The muffler hangs down just a bit, too - and I have a slight concern if I put it on the ramp the other way, is it still far enough away from the driveshaft? I need to check.

It is quieter than the glasspacks, but still sounds snorty enough.

In other news, with it on the ramp, I started to think I needed to cut some more.

But it isn't just the outer quarter, I'd need to either move it back a bit, or re-tub the front where the back seat is mounted.

But then I noticed the shock is out of bump, and the tire isn't quite touching.

And I hadn't quite reached the lowered bump stop.

I need 3/4 of an inch. I'll probably take some 1x1 square and weld it to the U-bolt plate and call it a day.

Any opinion on this tire rash?

The T19 continues to leak some fluid and it's bothering me. I cleaned it up last night, now I need to run it and look - it seems to not leak just sitting, but run it and it will after - I'm thinking the rear bearing is getting oiled and the two gaskets between the adapter and T19 are where it's coming out.

There was a gap when I bolted the adapter to the transmission - not much, but enough to make me consider putting the gaskets in place so when I tightened the bolts I wasn't trying to bend the aluminum tailhousing adapter (as much)

I got a new tube of Right Stuff last night but haven't tried the "caulking" approach yet - I'd like to see if I can spot where it starts, first, before I make it impossible to chase it - and/or pull this all apart and make some new gaskets and Right Stuff the whole mess..

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
On the leak - maybe it's OK now - I cleaned up the adapter to T19, then hit it with a liberal amount of Right Stuff, turning the entire gap between the two adapters into a gasket. :D

After a short jaunt around the neighborhood (couple miles) I found that the exhaust got the 14-bolt pretty hot, so I added a down-turn to try to direct the exhaust under the axle tube.

Maybe I need to go back and see about snaking up and out like I originally wanted to.

I then had a visit from Mark Ashford and family which involved the second trip for the Scout - to the restaurant 2 miles down the road. Jamie Ashford got to ride with me.

Trip number three for the rebuilt Scout?

200 miles on the trailer, and then 26 water crossings, followed by 26 water crossings.

A little bit of rough trail, a lot of close in brush, but probably the worst part was a section where the road was narrow - maybe there wasn't much road between my tire and the edge, but there IS 15" of tire width there..

https://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/piwigo/_data/i/galleries/WheelinTrips/2019/09012019_MiddleforkOfTheJudith/IMG_20190901_140550338_HDR-me.jpg[img]

I was driving, so I didn't get too many pictures of me doing the water crossings, but my wife did snap this one when we paused during one of the water crossings for a photo opportunity against a cave.

[img]https://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/piwigo/_data/i/galleries/WheelinTrips/2019/09012019_MiddleforkOfTheJudith/69292811_10158488444912835_1930102055930691584_n-me.jpg

Water was deep enough to come in some of the JKs, but only two or three times did I hear it hit the headers.

I had some trouble with the Atlas staying in 2-high - it popped out a few times. I'm not sure what that really was, but spent most of the day in 4-low in 3rd and 4th gear. (6.46 and 3.8 - so 4th gear is roughly low gear in a close ratio 4spd, 3/low is about 1st/high)

Unlike the Dana 20, the Atlas didn't sound unhappy being wound up.

The batteries do need replaced, and I'm looking again at alternate electric fans.

Idling along most of the day, the fan would hold 200. When I plugged in the electric oven, that was enough of a draw that I noticed the Scout sitting at 205 and the fan didn't shut off.

I could try to upgrade the Taurus motor with the Mark VIII motor (<$100 and pretty easy) which supposedly will move more air.

I'm also thinking about the 2010 F150 fan, and whether that can be made to fit. The popular LS1 fans are too wide, I think.

I drained the front diff when i got home - no need, the oil was good, but I haven't changed it since I put it together..

Unfortunately, the GLO diff cover with the 1/8 NPT drain plug had a cross-threaded drain plug. I chased it, and then found I couldn't get a 1/8 NPT recessed allen plug in town.. it'll be here this weekend.

I then decided that before I drain the rear diff, I ordered a Barnes4WD "13-bolt" cover. The stock 14-bolt cover is peeled in a few spots, but not leaking, but I'm overdue for an easy shave of the 14-bolt.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
she's looking good Tom :smokin:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Thanks, guys.

SnowBash 2020 - 01/18/2020

And the morning after.

Things mostly worked well at SnowBash, though I did find myself hung up on a buried log obstacle that got the better of me - I stood on it, and the Scout was thinking it wanted to go, the TSLs started to get warm, and it was wallowing wanting to climb it.

My wife thought she'd get out at that point - and then failed to realize just how far down the ground was when she jumped out - door 1, hand 0 - fortunately, no permanent damage just some momentary pain.

I resumed my throttle assault - but it was then cut short by the 72" long V-belts that wrap around the crank, the water pump, the air compressor, and the alternator - deciding that was more than they could handle, as they both walked off the front of the 392.

It took a while to get that fixed - I carry spares, but there is little adjustment with that AD244 in there..

After I got it fixed, I found out there was a traffic jam ahead of me, so we headed back to the play ground to play for a bit - but not before we heard a call for help on the radio from another group.

Mike Hines, of Hellroaring Technologies and I went on a rescue mission.

Ultimately, we winched Mike up "Bobsled Hill" to get to a dead Toyota that was having alternator troubles that became battery troubles.

20 vehicle stuck behind him, and no one thought to swap batteries around...

But they were all anxious to get moving after Mike put some charge back in the dead Toy.

The Toyota followed us out with no head lights, in the dark, but made it back to the outhouse and parking area near the trailhead.

We aired up and made it to the banquet dinner in time to still eat.

I came home with a PRP gift certifcate, and an ARB snatch/strap.

Now, 3 months later, I recently finished pulling the Taurus fan back out. It was a nice idea, but it wouldn't keep it cool above 45, and would still struggle at times breaking trail, too. I'm hoping the old clutch fan will work better, but haven't really tested it yet.

That all meant a change out of the water pump, and changing the clutch out on the York again from the Jeep "close/short" pulley to the "longer" Scout pulled (that lines up one pulley closer to the radiator)

That means the belts are no longer 72" and I'm back to a stock Scout II alternator belt - 7612 - in a dual bet configuration.

I'm hopeful that means I can hold high RPM longer.. we'll see.. :)

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Couple more from 2/16 when we tried to go to Leadville, but failed.

This is at Whitehouse Compground where we frequently camp on Father's Day and had planned to drop the trailers - but we dropped them a mile or so earlier, where the plowing ended - and some of the Jeeps thought just going down the main road to get to the campground was the day's adventure..

Mike Kelly and I made it to the powerline clearing - where we sometimes camp - and that was it.

The snow was deep. It was crusty enough I could get on top, but then I had no traction until I broke through.

When we reached the clearing under the powerline, it got worse. :)
It was snowing, the wind was blowing, the sky looked ugly - time to turn tail. :(

On top of the Taurus fan making me pause from time to time, I also couldn't decide if the banging I heard was the suspension unloading, or the Atlas knocking on the frame.

The Atlas was close to the mounts for the crossmember I built - I had clearanced it, but watching the shifters move a bit as the entire power train loaded and unloaded...

When I got home, I ground more of the crossmember mount away AND tightened the RPT transmission mount bolts - and replaced the nuts with top-locks. They were loose, contributing to the rocking motion.

I haven't gone wheelin' since I changed out the fan and clearance the mount - the kids had some conflicts that kept me away, but it's ready to go..

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
….I also couldn't decide if the banging I heard was the suspension unloading, or the Atlas knocking on the frame.

….When I got home, I ground more of the crossmember mount away AND tightened the RPT transmission mount bolts - and replaced the nuts with top-locks. They were loose, contributing to the rocking motion.
I had the same thing happen about 1-2 years ago. My TH400 to Dana300 adapter plate was coming loose from the mounts I made. Continuously every 3 - 4 trips. I would use the twin stick levers as my gauge for tightening.

Finally last year I think...I said fuck it and drilled out the threaded attachment points. I now have them nylocked through the CJ engine mount bushings I am using for tranny mounts.

Rock solid now. I imagine you will be golden from here on out.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I had the same thing happen about 1-2 years ago. My TH400 to Dana300 adapter plate was coming loose from the mounts I made. Continuously every 3 - 4 trips. I would use the twin stick levers as my gauge for tightening.

Finally last year I think...I said fuck it and drilled out the threaded attachment points. I now have them nylocked through the CJ engine mount bushings I am using for tranny mounts.

Rock solid now. I imagine you will be golden from here on out.
Just before I put the Atlas in, I finally put studs into the T-19 adapter and top-locks to try to keep the Dana 20 from loosening on the transmission.

The tell tale sign was more than usual oil weepage.

It got to where I was checking the transfercase bolts every time I remembered.

I swapped to the Taurus fan a few years ago just before I figured out the reason the clutch fan was misbehaving was mostly due to having broken both front motor mounts. :D

Maybe I should've put a 196 in instead. :D

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Oddly, the transmission mount bushing was loose again..

So.. other updates..

A week ago I got called to help out with a rescue mission. It didn't take much to recover the stuck stock truck, so we played around for a bit..

Found some cat tracks..

Then I got an invite for a run this Saturday..

Hmm. no pictures of me that I took.

Did get some shooting in - there were old easter eggs for targets. My youngest daughter proceeded to bullseye what seemed like 7 in a row.

Today I took another buddy up to our local amateur radio repeater site. He's been itching to go out, and got his ham license not that long ago, and it's a short trip from my house so it worked out.

Not quite open for the other hams to head up for maintenance, but now that knocked down the drifts, it won't be long.

The N7RB tower is the smallest one slightly to the right of center.

Found snow - some long stretches of snow covered road we could eventually cross, some drifted in shelf roads.. fortunately, we took the other road that avoided this big and long drift, but stopped to give it a try on the way back - the Scout wanted to go up and over..

..but the snow went on for a good ways, and it was time to head back..

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
looks great Tom. Love the stance on this one :smokin:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
looks great Tom. Love the stance on this one :smokin:
Thanks! I kinda like it, too. And the more I poke and prod at it, the more I'm left wondering if there's really much left that I'm not taking advantage of.

So, since I had some damage to repair and now I'm waiting for a brake line to arrive (the 14-bolt vacated the Scout a little faster than I anticipated)..

Late last year I shaved the 14-bolt into a 13-bolt. Just the upgraded cover and some sawzall work. Easy.

Driver's side shock mount failed - I welded it back on, but apparently not well enough, since I just finished welding it back on again..

The used-when-Robert-bought-them Optimas finally were replaced. I thought they were dying, but at least part of the problem was one of the batteries was unhooked, which I didn't discover until after I had bought new batteries and started tearing into it.

Hydraulic crimper to the rescue..

And this time, I fused the batteries with some big fuses.

And instead of hard wiring the batteries, I used some 350A Anderson connectors.

Each battery comes to an Anderson under the passenger rear floor, where they get paralleled. 4/0 wire from there to the solenoid. 2/0 from each battery to the Anderson connector.

Why do all of that?

I made up a series connector for the Ready Welder.

Now if I need to, I shut the Scout off, disconnect the dual batteries, and plug in the Ready Welder harness to make a 24V welder.

Use one battery for a 12V welder.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I replaced the lower end short-body Bilsteins. I thought I bought some 7100 short bodies - I got a good deal on them, but they didn't bolt in, so I extended the shock mounts. Twice now.

The second time, I relocated the lower mount out to the inner C, rather than a little closer on the axle tube, then kicked the upper mount out slightly when I extended it, to make room for some 2" stroke 2" diameter Fox air bumps.

The longer stroke SAW I had at the start was a tight fit. The smaller Fox units were a lot easier to install.

I salvaged the cans from the racer - I wanted the air bumps as wide as I could get them for more effectiveness, but they were slightly too wide and the tires hit when articulated, so after I narrowed them up on the racer, I salvaged the cans for the SnowScout.

I've been wheeling once or twice a month - a lot of other things are cancelled thanks to COVID-19, including our typical trip back East to visit family, RMIHR, JustIH BinderBash, and everything else so... let's go wheelin'..

So after the Memorial Day weekend trail ride, I'm busy cleaning up and what do I find..

First, that I finally have a little extra shock stroke at full bump.

But then as I'm washing around the back..

Seems I was a bit rough on the Scout. I also ripped off that passenger front shock mount on the rough road.

This is the second time the truss (partially) tore off. I welded it before. This time it's all but removed - so, time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I thought about just welding it back on again, but that's once I've done that (right before SnowBash this year) already..

I could have salvaged it, but Artec has a new APEX truss that looks stout, wasn't that expensive, and got here in two days from Utah.

I opted to replace my existing pinion guard with the Artec version so the bridge would work more easily.

Interesting to see here that neither the original installation, or my attempt to reweld in January, actually penetrated the center section. The tube was "welded" to the diff.. but it was more like a few spatters than real weld. Hard to tell before.

But makes me glad I opted to upgrade.

First order, weld the pinion guard together, and add my ladder bar mount to the side.

Then paint, while I clean up the axle housing.

The truss itself comes in two halves. I hit the underside with some paint. This was when I found out my weld-through primer needed replaced..

I have to say, I was impressed with the decent fit of the truss pieces.

Final fitment, I had a slight rise on the driver's side at the top plate - I tried to clean up a few spots to make it sit better, but ultimately decided to stop, and prioritize fitment at the tube over fitment at the top, and just welded the gap/lip.

While I had the axle out, I replaced the leaking passenger wheel seal, and I think it was leaking because the wheelbearings were loose. I tightened them, of course.

The axle is back under the Scout - I then had to grind some of the paint off to weld the upper link of the ladder bar in place, then more paint. I put the weight on the axle to set it to as normal of a position as I could.

FWIW, I thought this was with weight on the axle/springs, but it wasn't fully loaded - but this is where the driveshaft sits at full droop, where it binds.

This is why I went with a single speed Atlas, though again, this wasn't at ride height like I thought when I was checking it - I still had some weight of the frame rails on jack stands.

This is with a 1410 U-joint.

I managed to drop the axle from the jack before I was ready when I was pulling it, so the driver's brake line got stressed out - so a new one should show up on Monday, at which point I'll replace it, bleed the brakes, and then put the tires back on and start thinking about loading up for Father's Day.

Oh, today's Public Service Announcement

I always knew welding in shorts was a bad idea. I just didn't know how little, or how much, welding would cause a sun burn.

Well, I welded that truss on in shorts. All inside, and most after dark.

One side of my right shin/calf is "sun" burned, along with parts of my left leg. You can tell where my sock ended..

At the time, I thought the pain was the hot sparks, which was part of it, but also the red sun burned skin. :D

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Two more updates.. I've been cleaning up around the yard to make room for a new shop. The bank was backlogged, so that took a while, and now the builder is back logged but hey, I moved my stuff around.

I used the Snow Scout to move most of it.

The receiver hitch is a tad bit high.

Obviously, for the tow-bar I could have gone with less drop, but that didn't work for my Scout utility trailer, and a few other things that needed moved.

But here's my solution when the 12" drop hitch wasn't enough..

I originally bought this setup for when we're camping, and someone pulls in and screws me on getting the F350 and GN in front of the camper. A year or two ago I found out even with the 12" drop I couldn't get the camper jacked up high enough to get on the ball (a chain sufficed that time) so I got another 6" of drop so it'll work out.

Not that I want to tow the camper any great distance, but this lets me get it out of the camp site and into the road, where it is easier to hitch up (less trees in the way)

The other tid bit to share, with the lock-down in place, car clubs across Montana (and elsewhere?) resurrected "cruising drag" (like in American Graffiti) and called everyone out to drive around on Friday night while maintaining our distancing (in our cars).

There were actually TWO Scouts out the first two cruising nights. The shiny car guys were all accepting, too.

Saw a lot of folks I hadn't seen for a while - but they saw the Scout and knew it was me. :D

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Looking good, how about some more info on the hydraulic crimper? Did you use stick with some special rod from truss to diff? Are you aware of the new sandbox everyone is playing in now?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Crimper is pretty cool. When I bought it, the seller was claiming the HF version has the wrong dies that are not useful, but I'm not sure it's any different.

This one has different dies (all metric) that seem right for 6gauge on up to at least the 4/0 I've been using lately.

Works for battery cable lugs, or the big Anderson connectors.

So now I save "junk" battery cables, cut the corroded ends off, and make a jumper for something or other.

I bought it thinking I had a few Scouts to rewire and more than a few cables to make up, including those on the electric riding lawn tractor (400A @50V)

I don't know how the truss was originally welded to the diff, except not well (sorry, Robert)
I know when I did it in January, I just waved the MIG at it, probably blindly (tucked up where you can't see it) and in hopes of doing some good before leaving for the wheeling trip. Obviously, I didn't do a good job either.

Neither attempt got the cast iron hot enough.

I debated dusting off the stick machine to weld this up, but in the end got the new pinion guard and bridge instead.

I've been over to the ira te 4x4 site.. I wasn't sure if we'd all decided to move or not.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I got in a fight with a tree and not only sheared one of the antennas off at the base, but the CB antenna physically ripped a hole in the top on it's way out.

..so the top came off for the good weather for the first time in a while, while I welded the top up.

Went up to Caruthers with it - my first time wheelin' with the top off in years..

I even had a little buddy along for the trip.

The pictures are out of order - I had the winch line out because the I-6 Scout blew the rear 4.56 R&P out on the last ascent of the trail and needed some help.

When I did the rig stack, I lost half of my transmission crossmember bushing.

This, after I had already lost the ability to shift the Atlas -

The linkage unthreaded itself.

At the end of the day, I was able to crawl under the Scout and put it back into high range for the short drive back to the trailer. When I got home, I just threaded it back together.

This transmission won't stop leaking.

The right lower bellhousing stud leaks and was loose. Most of the T-19 to Adapter bolts were loose as well (but the adapter to Atlas have remained tight)

I have now drained the oil, and will try to clean up the front stud and re-install it, and then I break out the loctite for the adapter bolts.

Without the bushing, the transfercase was held in check by a combination of the shifter hitting the tunnel, and the Atlas hitting the corner of the mount.

Have I mentioned how the Atlas barely fits?

The failed isolator was an old RPT unit I had cut to widen. I didn't have any more lying around. I considered some of the Dyco 311s I have (cutting them to widen) and then I came across these in the shed.

Recognize them?

Left over race-car parts...

I had to open up the crossmember. I made a wooden plug to help center the hole saw.

I gave it a new shifter boot (yet another).

I also had some overheating issues on the Caruthers trip - I caught it peeing out of the overflow 15 minutes after I had shut it down, so fresh coolant and a new pressure cap. It still doesn't run as cool as I'd like it, but it was manageable on Labor Day.

Of course, when I got home, the transmission was marking territory again, and the power steering - now that I put a new pump, new housing, new extension on, is marking as well.

I also have a new water pump and alternator just for fun. :D

341 - 360 of 360 Posts