Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the winter season coming quickly im beginning to realize how cold my k5 is without a heater, and how much it sucks to be without any way of defrost on those cold mornings! The heater box has been taken out because it was pretty much destroyed and its much simpler without it. With that said ive been looking into these small self contained heaters that many places sell (summit, speedway motors). They are available up to 28,000 BTU which is probably more then most old vehicles came with factory. they even sell ducting kits so you can hook them to your factory defrost vents! My questions are, anyone ever use them?? and if so are they worth the money, or would going back to factory be a better fit.
heres a link to a model on summit.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294924500+4294839041+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have that one (slightly older version, mine has 3 smaller outlets instead of the large 2 but looks the same otherwise), CRAIG on here has that model. We both have tube buggies that are completely open. Simple put, those heaters rock. Definatly take the chill off their immediate area and if you make some tubes you can stick under your jacket or up your pant leg you start sweating.
I can only imagine if you had a fully enclosed rig they would warm it NO problem.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Heater Craft unit is the bomb. Get the version sold by J. C. Whitney if you want the ducted version with hoses. (HC makes a version unique to JCW that includes a bracket, hoses, and outlets.)

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Looks good. I might have to try one of these

·
33,755 Posts
The Heater Craft unit is the bomb. Get the version sold by J. C. Whitney if you want the ducted version with hoses. (HC makes a version unique to JCW that includes a bracket, hoses, and outlets.)
wonder if I could duct one of those hoses up under/into my PRP seats. Instant heated seats :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
wonder if I could duct one of those hoses up under/into my PRP seats. Instant heated seats :grinpimp:
I suppose you could, but...

...If you want heated seats, you can get the inserts for <$100/ea.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect. Thanks for the quick replys guys. Ill be ordering one tonight after work. My blazer is fully enclosed so it should do the trick very well. Ill look into the JC whitney version before i order.

And if there is enough interest would any of you want a detailed installation thread? id be willing. I know its not quite the same as a tube buggy, but it might be helpful to someone.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When I started looking at Heater Craft, I came across this installation thread (Stalker V6) and that is where I learned about the J.C. Whitney version.

I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a cheapened down variant, so I called the company. The story I got, reluctantly, is that the basic heater (Cores, motors, and connectors) is the same regardless who you buy it from. JCW used their buying power to negotiate the addition of the 2.5" hoses and vents. (The reluctance was an attempt to not piss off HC's other retailers.)

The typical install takes the two outlets from the heater and uses one for the interior vents and the other for the defroster. The Stalker install shows how to split the vent housing if you don't want a central outlet.

Final note: The quality of the hardware was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The author of the article and install on Stalker V6 rod is not lying about the amount the fan blows and the "prodgious" amount of heat it produces. :laughing: They work really really well and are very compact. IMHO best bang for the buck. I was lucky enough to get mine ro $60 used, a week before I was going to drop the $ to get the one from summit!
:homer:

My buggy is completely open except for a plexi winshield and bibby top during winter wheeling, my heater sits in the middle between the two seats and blows forward. On High when it is in 20-30's you can't see your breath sitting in the rig, turn your head out and breath toward the outside of the rig and you can see your breath again. Break out the hoses and put one under your jacket= you can't take it that long, sweat starts quickly! :laughing:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just looked them up on the JC Whitney web site and the sell from 179-199, and it looks to be the same one Summit has. So the Summit one is cheaper

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the feedback.. one of these 28000 puppies will be goin the the k5 whenever it shows up on the door step

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Good thread. Jeep no have heat. Jeep very cold in winter. Hmmm 28kbtu sound good. Me Order.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heres an update! Just got done installing my 28,000 BTU from summit. along with the ducting kit. And may i say, this thing RIPS!!! speed "low" and "meduim" will be used most, as "high" is just hotter then i need for normal use! i put the ducting vents in the top of the dash pad, right where the factory defrost vents were and it takes just a few seconds for it to 100% defog the windsheild. Very, very impressive product and worth every dime!! Simple installation also!

I recommend to anyone who needs some warmth!

·
Registered
538 Posts
so lookin at these on summit and jcwhitney I see a 60 dollar price differance but no reason why. It doesn'y look like the jcwhit comes with ducting but thats the only reason I could come up with

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I bought the (higher priced) version from JCW, but looking at the Summit picture, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that HeaterCraft makes both. The installation brackets are somewhat unique and appear identical. By the time you add their vents, you're still $30 ahead. (For me, it was almost a wash due to free shipping from JCW and no sales tax.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Through summit i spent 170 to my doorstep. With id say 20-25 feet of ducting hose, and 2 vents. everything went together very easily.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I bought the (higher priced) version from JCW, but looking at the Summit picture, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that HeaterCraft makes both. The installation brackets are somewhat unique and appear identical. By the time you add their vents, you're still $30 ahead. (For me, it was almost a wash due to free shipping from JCW and no sales tax.)
Is this the JC Whitney one you got ? The one pictured here has two fans - wonder if its worth the extra $30 ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
For people looking for heater on the cheap: some first gen. Toyota 4Runners had a read heater option - a self contained heater unit that was housed in the center console between the front bucket seats that blew heat towards the rear seat.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts