Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 1990 FJ-62 to V8 and use as a DD and a tow rig. But after doing some digging I found out the rig was a bit too light to pull the 4500lb FJ-40 on a trailer. So I have just been hoarding it thinking I would just clean it up and drive it. I just won a silent auction for a 2000 F-250 Crew Cab, so I need to move on the FJ-62. Sell it as is or Part it out?

Is there a demand for the sheet metal off this thing? Doors, etc? If I sell it in the local market I will need to toss in a new piston, it just developed a bad wrist pin knock. Ok so $40 for one piston, $60 in gaskets and a weekend doing the job with a friend helping. But is it worth it? The motor passed DEQ with flying colors.

Fix and sell for $4000’ish or part out?

BAD:
Piston knock, (wrist pin)
The auto trany has a kick down issue 1st to 2nd , it revs then fine.
Needs carpet kit
Little rust under tailgate (looks like the PO spilled brake fluid)

GOOD:
Straight truck no major rust issues (all body panels)
3F Head and all electronics (2F port fuel injection kit!)
Best freaking transfer case Toyota made, two piece vacuum shift 2x4 to 4x4
Factory 4:11 fine spline difs
All the doors will fit a 60, (instant PW/PL conversion)
Good disk brake axles for a project rig
Rear bench head rest seats w/shoulder belts for a 60
Just had a restoration company pro-clean the whole inside. $$:(

I really just want to get the $3k I have into it right now back out of it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Parting it out will *eventually* get you more money, but if you're in a hurry, patch it up and sell it. You'll get $4,000 for it if you fix the motor.

The problem with parting it out is that there's a LOT of parts in it, and everyone wants the little bitty parts (PITA to ship little by little)...

If you do decide to part it out, I call dibs on the driver's side door. You can keep the mirror to sell as a pair ($$$), but I need a driver side door.

What color is the interior?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It makes more sense to fix it instead of parting it. its alot of work to part a truck. on the other hand when you pull the motor apart you might find alot more work to fix it.

If you do part it, Jason M might be interested in the bottom end :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I parted a 60, part of a 40, and a 55 you'll end up with a lot of big parts that nobody needs. I had extra glass. Doors and hood were too heavy to ship reasonablely for most folks. Lift gates and tail gates are worth some bucks if rust free. Everything else is the $5-$10 part which really becomes a hassle to ship. Engine?? Tranny? when there is a need? Transfer?? But who knows when somebody is going to need it. I'd probably go for fixing it and selling it. I ended up giving away a whole pickup load of heavy parts a few weeks ago. Hoods, 55 doors, 55 and 60 glass, door panels, etc... Oh! Plus you need space to store the stuff.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I would be interested in the bottom end.

personally I would part it out if I had the time. axles front and rear = $500-800
Split tcase = $500
2F fuel injection up to $800 (a bit steep but there are a lot of parts there)

You could easily get your 3K back and more

Ask Nolen, he has parted out a lot more cruisers than I have.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Fix the engine and ship it and the whole driveline to me so I can put it in mah PIGGY!!

hehe.

Sell it for a buck!!

*tosses out two pennies*

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
vacuum actuated split case out of an auto FJ62 is not *nearly* as desirable as its manual tranny counterpart, but for the most part, I agree. You get more money from parting it out, it's just more time/hassle/work. If you're shooting for maximum money, part it out. if you want to get your money quickly, flip the whole truck.

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. At this point I think I will just fix the motor and toss in a carpet kit. (Interior will look like new then!) I really hate to whore out a decent Landcruiser. It will cost me about $500 total, but I will get that back. I am thinking it will sell for $4K’ish. If I had the space I would just hang on to it, but I am already pushing it with the 55 rolling frame and my 40. Toss in the one or two other peoples rigs that seam to be on my drive and the new F-250, oh ya and the wife’s Camary! My neighbors love me…. Grinders + welding + chop saw + milling + air tools…. But they come crawling over when they need two pieces of steel glued together, or their mechanic is asking $300+ for a oil pan reseal etc. !

Mark

BTW: I might go trolling on e-bay before I do the work. I would be happiest just selling it now for $3K. This would make a great project rig for someone. (V8! Then sell the 3F gear. Someone doing the work themselves could end up with a real nice rig for cheep.) I just need to check out the "Fee's" e-bay wants for runing this thing.. hmm.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
FWIW... parting out a truck and selling it piece-by-piece SUCKS, unless you do it for a living and are setup for packing/shipping/payment/etc. I've done a couple of minis now, the one I did last summer is pretty much all gone although I still have some small stuff left. I'm of the opinion now that anything worth less than about $15 just goes on the scrap metal pile, it's not worth the hassle. I spent over 2 hours packagiing the front bumper, for a $30 sale (not including the time and gas I spent looking for a box).

helocat said:
The auto trany has a kick down issue 1st to 2nd , it revs then fine.
My '88 did this when I first got it. Your TV cable needs adjusting. Easy and no-cost fix. It's actually a relatively common problem with the 3FE/A440F combo, as the cable gradually stretches over time.

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Sell or part out? 1990 FJ-62

KLF said:

My '88 did this when I first got it. Your TV cable needs adjusting. Easy and no-cost fix. It's actually a relatively common problem with the 3FE/A440F combo, as the cable gradually stretches over time.
Now I wondered about that if it had one. I am familiar with a TV cable from my 700R4 I run in my 40. I will hit the factory manual and dig it up.
Thanks for the tip.

Mark

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm of the opinion now that anything worth less than about $15 just goes on the scrap metal pile, it's not worth the hassle. I spent over 2 hours packagiing the front bumper, for a $30 sale (not including the time and gas I spent looking for a box).
I disagree. It may not be convienent but those little parts that aren't worth shipping to you could mean a lot to the guy looking for them. When I am packaging a small part for a customer, I think of the recipient and how thankful he'll be to get the part.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you part it, I'll take the head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and fuel rail. want to adapt GM stuff to the toyota intake, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts