Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all this time I have been fighting my ass off in order to retain a Land-Rover wheel bolt pattern on my axles. For those of you that don't know I am running an Eaton rear axle with machined down hubs to fit a 5 on 6.5 pattern, as well as disco front rotors/calipers out back. I wanted to run a closed knuckle rover front hybrid axle up front, with an eaton center chunk, and I've built the housing, but I have to fill it with the goodies.

A few days ago I started making a list of all the components that I still need to finish this thing off - BCB disc brake conversion kit, swivel balls, axleshafts, bling CVs, etc etc etc, and the list came up to an astronomical number. It means that I'd have to let the rig sit and collect cash all winter, missing out on another winter of wheeling. I wheel about 10X more in the winter than I do in the summer, my rig is a snow rig - I use it for camping, boarding, etc.

I started thinking about just getting a set of 8 bolt stock eaton hubs (super cheap) and converting them to disc using the chevy conversion brackets that are super cheap as well as chevy rotors, and running a stock D60 (which are available anywhere around here for cheap) narrowed on the long side. I have pretty much every R&P for the Eaton so I can run just about anything I want as gears, but I'd really like to have 4.56s. Anyways, I also found a set of hummer rims with tires that I can scrounge for some bucks, and eventually I could get a set of 16" stock rims for the michelins on the road, and run the hummer beadlocks on some TSLs. It also means I can probably throw an ARB in there later on. Again, don't like ARBs but they work OK usually.

I'm looking at this mess from a cost VS benefit thing and seeing that there is no way that I can come close to the strength and especially foolproofness of the big 1 ton junk for the money. As much as I think that I'm selling out by doing what every other Jeep or Toy guy is doing, I miss driving this rig and I don't want it to become just a backyard jackstand ornament. With the CTD, big tranny and T case, 1410 driveline, and hella big axles it would fawking indestructible. A lot of the Toy guys are in the same boat and don't particularly like the Dana shit for the engineering hamfistedness of it, but they don't regret swapping over.

So? Beat me senseless. I've been praising the merits of all this super bling rover closed knuckle stealth front end stuff, and now I'm going to go out and buy the heaviest stupidest s.o.b. out there.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
So, do you want to sell off what you have so far??

Selling out/selling off, kind of the same thing....:flipoff2:

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I always knew you were soft. Take out a car loan on something, you have a job now.
Sellout.

Jim Pendleton

I do not care about the bolt pattern either, but I was hoping to see you put together those beef axles.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That's the same conclusion that I came to a few months ago. Sure, I could have replaced all my broken pieces with the same stuff that was stronger than stock, but in the end I would still have to worry about breaking again, and at those prices, one more break and I would have the same in the Rover stuff as I'll have in my 60's. Well, not exactly, but it will be nice to know that IF I do break, the parts will be on the shelf, and not at a premium price.

I fought it at first, but then I did the math, and it was an easy decision.

So, don't think of it as "Selling Out", just consider it "Buying In". :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bertha the Cruiser said:
J-L,

Do it. You have a date on 2-12-05.....

RJ
I hope she's fawking smoking :grinpimp:

·
Registered
660 Posts
J-L: Just do it. It makes more sense. Keep the junk you have for later. You can always sell it later - after you decide to keep the dana stuff permanently - which you probably will!

Those that call it selling out are the same guys that will be envying you a rig that is out driving around rather than sitting on jackstands waiting on money and/or parts to get back on the road.

Your truck is already a Bastard, so I wouldn't let going with non rover axles keep you from getting it on the road!

Simon

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bertha the Cruiser said:
The only gal who keeps showing up at Winter Romp is Halley Vail, Bob's daughter...

:D
Sorry, I don't know her.

I've brought a cute girl to every Winter Romp I have been to - one. She even didn't kill me when I got a flat in buttfawk Maine and didn't have a jack (I was a poor student back then, couldn't afford a hi-lift). She did hide out in a nice 110 while I drove at -30 celsius with no door tops.

Now that I'm not chained to a post anymore and not in school, I am for sure going to go, even if it's on my mountain bike (OVLR members, I was the guy on the bike in the newsletter).

I figure that 6 months is enough time to get the truck back together and get it working OK for that run. Won't have a front locker (might run a welded rear :grinpimp: )

Anyways, I can't wait, that's what I'm working towards- Winter Romp, baby!

·
Registered
278 Posts
do you think that you will have to narrow the axles if you run a stock hummer wheel? I plan on doing the same thing on my 109. I did some quick figuring and decided that with the 7.5" negative off-set of the hummer wheels you wouldn't have to narrow an the axles. I would probably run a ford van or dodge van rear axle. they run around 64" I think. So I'm figuring that not that much tire would hang out past the body. This would save you from having to source custom axles. The only draw back I can see w/ the stock hummer wheels is that the front hubs would hang in harms way and you would have to make/buy some custom stering arms to clear the off-set. I saw a 70's military dodge w/ a front 60 axle (PSD) that had drive flanges similar to a rovers and were very low profile. I think early dodges run about 64" WMS to WMS. These should be fairly easy to source. the wheels are cheap enough and the rear axles are super cheap. I think you couldn't beat the parts availabilty and may even be able to borrow parts from a heep owner! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i think the stock hummer wheels rub on the brakes and steering. cutting down the axle is not too bad, can get one side cut down and get a dutchman inner made for less than $150.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I know of no 60 front that runs 64" wms stock...The early dodge is 69" and so is the chevy...The Ford high pinion *might* be a little less, but not by much (never looked into them because the diff is on the wrong side :p)

All of the above are not that hard to find, but for a good price (> $800) they are.

Stock hummer rims will work just dandy, and should net you the same (+/-) track as stock...You will want a high steer anyway, so finding some off-set hy-steer arms is not an issue either. The one big issue is you'll beat the front hubs to death...Unless you run some 4340 uni-bearing hub's. They are about 3" shorter than regular 1 ton fair and in the 4340 variety, are appearing to hold up to comp abuse...IMO it's the only option for negative off-set rims.

-D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts