Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the search is still down I will ask some questions.
"Flame suit on"
I have a semi float Dana 60 from a Ford E250 van. Since I have a lot invested in 5 on 5 1/2 MRT Beadlocks with Iroks for the trail and 5 on 5 1/2 steel rims with BFG MTs for street I would like to try and keep the bolt pattern. My question is, does anyone make axle shafts fot this thing with the 5 lug pattern? Another thought is to machine the outer flange to accept the 5 lug center hole and redrill them to 5 lug. Otherwise I will need to convert my front 44 to 8 lug and replace two sets of wheels.

I realize this axle is prpbably less desirable than a full floater but it is a beefy axle with 1/5" 35 spline shafts and ARB makes a locker for it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do not know anybody that makes shafts for it, but I would just machine and redrill. I called a vender one time to see how much a spare for mine would be and it was $246.00. Just thought I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Pat98TJ said:
Great solution. :shaking: We're talking about a SEMI FLOATING REAR AXLE. I know you saw "Dana 60" and couldn't wait to pimp your shit, but jeeze.

I guess he could do that, if he torched off his spindles, had some new ones welded up, got some custom double splined axleshafts, and of course your conversion, oh and then drive plates or locking hubs on top of that. Not to mention the consumables such as bearings and gear oil. Sounds like a cost efficient and easy way to solve a problem to me!

Upper2 said:
and ARB makes a locker for it.
Yeah, the same locker as a regular 35 spline D60 right?

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Look where the drag racers shop semi float dana 60 are big with the mopar crowd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe Moser makes a reasonable shaft for your application. You might give them a call.

-Jeremy

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1uglyranger said:
I ordered my semi float 60 shafts from Mark Williams. They are a drag race company, but plenty cheap for a chromoly shaft. My 40 splines were around $700 shipped:beer:

http://markwilliams.com/axles.aspx
I have a custom built Rear SF d60 with 5x5.5 cro-mo axles from Dutchmann.[/QUOTE]I was able to search and read that the 40 spline bearings weren't designed for the type of stuff we do especially with the side hilling. I called Mark Williams amd got a quote for a set of 40 spline shafts with housing ends and retainers. I want to go that route but was wondering if the bearing design was really a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Upper2 said:
I have a custom built Rear SF d60 with 5x5.5 cro-mo axles from Dutchmann.
I was able to search and read that the 40 spline bearings weren't designed for the type of stuff we do especially with the side hilling. I called Mark Williams amd got a quote for a set of 40 spline shafts with housing ends and retainers. I want to go that route but was wondering if the bearing design was really a problem.[/QUOTE]

I've been running mine for over two years with no issues..... and I don't exactly baby it:cool2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
1uglyranger, are your axle tubes the big 3 1/2" ones? If so, what housing ends did you use. Also, did you cut the ends of the tube where the factory bearing and seal go?

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
SickRock said:
1uglyranger, are your axle tubes the big 3 1/2" ones? If so, what housing ends did you use. Also, did you cut the ends of the tube where the factory bearing and seal go?

No, the tubes are 3 1/16", or 3 1/8", and I cut the housing ends off, and welded on big bearing Ford Outers. The housing is narrow in terms of what most people are running, its 57.5" WMS to WMS, so I cut all the old shit off:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My axle must be different than the ones you guys are using. The axle I have is 65" WMS and has 3 1/2" OD axle tubes. I have decided to run the factory 35 spline axles. I took them to a local machine shop to have them redrilled to 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern so I don't have to buy different wheels for now. Eventually I will go 8 lug once I convert the front axle to either a 60 or change the outers on the 44.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts