Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you barage me with "post in the wanted section" let me tell you I already did!:flipoff2:
On that post the only response I got was that the tool can be had for $40 from snap-on. Not! Maybe the light duty puller for the front or some such but my local napa guys tell me that they get about $160 for the puller.
Anybody got one taking up room in their garage collecting dust after installing their 60's?
Or does anyone know of a good stout puller available for less than $160?
Thanks!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Its for a d44 from an old flat fender

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've never pulled a shaft on an axle that wasn't a C-clipped of a full floater, but I've seen people use a slide hammer. You can pick those up at Harbor Freight, or Northern Tool and Equipment for a fraction of the cost of the ones at Napa.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
might check with autozone and see if they loan that one.

i borrowed one when i did mine. couldn't beleive how hard i had to hit that thing. tapered axles suck.

or harbor freight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D Okay, I'll swing by the Harbor Freight store and see what they've got...
Autozone? Really? They never have much of anything I need aside from the super simple obvious stuff like filters and fluids...
I'll stop be there too, just for laughs and another excuse to give the pirate salute!
Back when I drove a 4runner (yeah, I'll admit it) the only brake pads AZ had were so cheap that after one or too sorta hard stops on flat ground they'd smoke and fade. Junk!

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
DoubleBit said:
[BAutozone? Really? They never have much of anything I need aside from the super simple obvious stuff like filters and fluids...
[/B]
they and kragen loan tools now,probably a long shot though.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
On my old CJ with D44, 2 piece axle. I cut a steel plate and burned 3 holes in it. Thru the holes I ran some all thread. To the end of the all thread a welded lug nuts. I screwed the three lugnut/all-thread on to the lugs. Slide the plate over the all-thread. Put nuts on the all-thread. Then but a bottle jack between the end of the axle and the plate. Pumped it up and popped the hub off the axle. Total time to build and use 30mins.

Sorry it's at home and I'm in SC right now. So I cann't get you any pics right now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm? :) That idea has some merits. Sounds like an inverted press. :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hillbilly Slidehammer

I use a pece of chain, bout three feet long. I put the very end links in a vice to open them up a bit, so they fit over wheel studs. Snug one end down, run the chain through an old wheel (Ihave plenty of those) and then snug the other end down one an opposing stud. Grab the wheel and give it a few good tugs. Hillbilly slidehammer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1. A little variance on Tuffjarhed's method...
2. I've pulled hubs using about a 6' length of chain,
3. Bolt it to the lug,
4. Now, walk to the length of the chain,
5. Put a little slack in the chain,
6. Start whipping it up and down, like a jump rope...
7. The chain will, eventually pull out the hub.
8. Yep, hillbilly it is, but all ******** ain't dumb!
9. We're just broke!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, even more food for thought. I had some body else tell me to loosen up the axle nut and drive it carefully 'till I heared it pop loose. That'd be fine 'cept this is a bench job I still have the old 23-2 full floater in the jeep.
Green Wagon, that's a kind offer. I'll get in touch if I can't hill-billy the things when I get to that part of my project.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts